The travel program, also a part of Accounts Payable, is responsible for assisting and reimbursing employee's travel on behalf of the university. In order to document the business purpose of university travel, a claim must be completed and approved for any university business-related travel for which the university incurs expense (airfare or car rental charged to a university purchasing card) even if the traveler requests no reimbursement.

Furthermore, Accounts Payable is responsible for assuring compliance with the State of Nevada, Nevada System of Higher Education and the University of Nevada, Las Vegas rules, regulations and policies relative to the expenditure of university funds.


Help & Inquiry


8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)

Mailing Address
Accounts Payable & Travel
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Box 451053
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy.
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1053

Campus Location
Campus Services Building (CSB), Room 245

Travel Policies

Travel Status and Reimbursement Policy

Employees, Student, or Volunteers (who have been processed by UNLV Human Resources) are eligible to travel on UNLV official business. A person traveling 75 miles or more outside of Las Vegas are considered to be in Travel Status. If traveling by airplane, Travel Status begins two hours before the scheduled flight departure time (three hours for international travel) and ends at the arrival time shown on the flight itinerary.

More Details

Advance Policy

A travel advance may be requested by UNLV students and employees in travel status on official UNLV business. Volunteers may not request a travel advance. The purpose of the travel advance is to assist travelers with out of pocket expenses for meals while in travel status.

Airfare Policy

A person traveling on official business for UNLV should choose the least expensive mode of transportation available when total travel time and cost of transportation are considered. With very few exceptions, only coach/economy class airfare will be reimbursed to travelers.

More Details

Baggage Policy

Many domestic airlines now impose baggage fees for checked baggage, and a smaller number charge for carry-on luggage also. When such charges are raised by an airline, an allowance is available subject to the satisfaction of policy requirements.

More Details

Car Rental Policy

UNLV’s rental car policy is dictated by the State Administration Manual (S.A.M. 0218.0) the following procedures are mandatory when renting vehicles. This policy applies to University employees and registered volunteers.

More Details

Related Forms

Lodging Policy

The University requires those travelling on official university business to follow the existing federal travel regulations (GSA) with regards to lodging and meal per diems.

More Details

Related Links

Meal Per Diem Policy

Meal per diems are provided for employees, students, volunteers, and candidates when in travel status. The traveler will not receive per diem for a hosted meal.

More Details

Related Links

Mileage Policy

Personal automobile mileage is available for employees (including volunteers, graduate assistants and student workers) at the standard mileage reimbursement rate for which a deduction is allowed for travel for federal income tax.

More Details

Related Forms

International Travel Policy

The Board of Regents International Travel Policy procedures requires faculty and staff traveling abroad for university-associated business to register their international travel prior to departure. These procedures apply regardless of funding and whether the traveling employee is on contract, such as for summer or winter break for nine-month contract faculty.  Faculty and staff must follow college- and unit-level procedures for approval prior to registering their trip.

The travel registry requires registrants to:

  • List the name of the administrator who will approve trips electronically;
  • Report correct Department of State Travel Advisory and CDC Health Alert levels; and
  • Upload required documents to the system.

Requests must have administrative approval before they can be reviewed by the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Programs for final approval.

Traveling faculty and staff will receive notification of approval via email along with information about additional insurance coverage.

Faculty and staff traveling with students must contact Greg Stephany, associate director of International Programs, and follow up with Export Control Officer Jill Zimbelman.

For more information, contact Associate Vice Provost for Workforce Development Cecilia Maldonado at or 702-895-3410.

Processing Reimbursements

Candidates for Employment

As part of the search process, the top three candidates for an advertised permanent position will be invited to the UNLV campus. In the case of candidates located more than 75 miles from the UNLV campus, the traveler will be in travel status for the duration of their visit.

More Details

Candidate Fact Sheet

This fact sheet should be sent to the candidate.

More Details

Guest and Visitors

A guest or visitor is an invited person, who is neither paid nor provides a service to UNLV during his/her visit. Travel must be approved prior to making arrangements.

Direct Deposit (EFT)

Unless otherwise arranged, employee expense reimbursements will be disbursed electronically to your bank account.

More Details

Travel Spend Authorization

Authorization to travel should always be obtained prior to travel, even if the expenses are being paid by another entity ( approval can be obtained by email and/or submit business leave for Worker's Compensation insurance purposes. Upon completion of travel, the Spend Authorization should be referenced on the Expense Report to appropriately utilize the previously committed funding.

Related Documents

Matrix Table for Reimbursements

A summary of traveler types and allowable expense types is provided as a guide, subject to official policy and qualification requirements.

More Details

Non-reimbursable Expenses

Not all expenses incurred by a traveler are reimbursable. A traveler should familiarize themselves with travel policies and procedures prior to committing to or incurring an expense.

More Details

Receipt Policy

When a reimbursement is requested by an individual (or group), the university is being asked to assume responsibility for the costs of those products or services. In this process, the university requires and takes ownership of the original receipt of purchase.

More Details

Other Resources/Forms

Emergency Travel Assistance

In the unlikely event that you need emergency travel assistance while in travel status, information covering the majority of contingencies is provided.

More Details

General Safety Tips

The traveler should personally take extra steps to remain safe while in travel status.

More Details

Currency Converter

When travel abroad is involved, claims for reimbursement must always be made in U.S. dollars. It is the responsibility of the traveler to convert whatever currency they use into U.S. dollars prior to submission of their claim.

Related Links

Currency Symbols

For the assistance of travelers traveling overseas, a simple reference table of currency symbols is provided.

Related Links is an easy-to-use website providing a hotel room booking tool that will make following government lodging policy simple.

Related Links

GSA Domestic Per Diem Tables

Domestic per diem rates are set by fiscal year effective on October 1. The current rates can be found by searching city and state (or zip code).

Related Links

GSA Foreign Per Diem Tables

Foreign per diem rates are set on a monthly basis and should be checked prior to departure on overseas travel. The rates shown are in US dollar currency, not local currency.

Related Links

Language Translation

When traveling overseas, there may be a need for translation services. Translation tools are available online and they enable individuals and businesses to translate documents, websites, and typed text for a variety of needs.

Related Links