The three most highly rated applicants can be invited to interview for a permanent position. Typically the position is assigned both a search and position number. Travel status of a candiƒdate is defined in the Travel Status and Reimbursement Policy page of this website. Candidates may receive reimbursements only after they visit and only upon presentation of original paid receipts.
There may be occasions where the recruitment expenses occur while interviewing the candidate. These expenses are provided outside of hosting.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to inform the department representative at least three working days prior to their arrival if they will need any special accommodations during the interview process.
Prior to making any travel arrangements determine whether UNLV needs to assist with visa status for the interview. If so, contact the International Student and Scholar Office at 702-895-0143.
Notice: Only interested candidates should accept an invitation to interview. Should a candidate decline a letter of offer, UNLV may opt not to reimburse the candidate for interview expenses (Nevada State Administrative Manual, Section 0256.0).
- Expenses incurred by a UNLV candidate to travel to UNLV for the prospect of employment are reimbursable to the candidate.
- Candidates are to make their own travel arrangements. Candidates should be reimbursed for all expenses and no payments should be placed on the university p-card.
- Candidate Check List
- Candidate travel is audited and treated like employee out of state travel unless traveling within state (over 75 miles from interview location). Candidates are subject to the same lodging and meal per diem rates via the General Services Administration (GSA).
- Candidate Fact Sheet
- Candidates cannot use the State Contracted Car Rental Agencies when renting a vehicle.
Candidate Travel Reimbursement
Reimbursements to candidates are submitted on an Expense Report (ECM) and must include the following.
- UNLV search and position number.
- Original itemized receipt(s) showing the method of payment (UNLV Receipts Policy).
- Candidate schedule of events such as time of interview & time of recruiting meals.
Reimbursements may be made for:
- Airfare – requires airline itinerary showing dates and times of departure and arrival and method of payment. When flying, additional fees such as an upgrade to the Business Select level, early bird check in, flight insurance, non-mandatory seat selection or fees for more than one checked bag, etc. will not be reimbursed to the traveler. TSA pre-check or similar fees will not be reimbursed.
- Lodging – requires detailed hotel bill showing zero dollar balance and method of payment. Lodging nightly rates will be audited according to current GSA rates. Candidates should use non-gaming facility.
- Public ground transportation – (i.e. taxi, shuttle, etc.) valid receipt(s) required.
- Personal vehicle mileage – Requires vehicle log or Mapquest route and will be reimbursed at the standard IRS mileage rate for the convenience of the university or half the IRS mileage rate at the convenience of the candidate.
- Meal per diem – may be paid in accordance with UNLV employee travel policy. No receipts required.
Reimbursements may not be made for:
- Tips or gratuities
- Room Service
- Personal phone charges (non-UNLV business related)
- Personal incidentals
- In-flight meals
- Overage of GSA lodging rate for interview city/county
Candidate reimbursement/travel expenses may be charged to state funds, although we encourage use of non-state funds for candidate expenses when available.