- Special workshops, events, activities, and mentorship to prepare undergraduates for possible future graduate study
- The opportunity to enroll in graduate-level courses (for students with at least a 3.00 GPA) either for undergraduate credit or to hold for future graduate credit
- The opportunity to complete the Graduate College Research Certification after you have fulfilled all Grad Rebel Advantage Program requirements
- $600 Grad Rebel Advantage scholarship for participants who fulfill all program requirements. ($300 will be dispersed after the Fall semester to all participants that complete the first half of the year-long program requirements; if Fall semester requirements are not met, students can continue in the program for Spring, but, then would only be eligible for the $300 in Spring.) Please note: You must have a current FAFSA on file. If you owe money for current or prior terms, the funds will be applied towards that balance. Disbursement of the scholarship can take between 4-6 weeks once we have confirmed program requirements for all participants have been met.
- Honor cord that may be worn at commencement to signify status as a Grad Rebel Advantage program graduate
- A Grad Rebel Advantage T-shirt
- Opening and closing events with meals
- Gain valuable skills associated with mentorship
This program is open to current UNLV undergraduate students who:
- Are enrolled full-time (minimum 12 credits per semester) during their Grad Rebel Advantage year
- Are in good standing with the University
- Have completed 60 or more credit hours at the time that they apply to the program
- Have a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75
- Have the endorsement of a full-time faculty member or academic advisor
Acceptance in the Grad Rebel Advantage Program is competitive. Complete applications, including a faculty/advisor endorsement, must be submitted by August 1, 2019. Decision letters will be sent to your RebelMail by Mid-August.
Students must maintain a minimum 2.75 overall GPA throughout participation in the program. Failure to do so may result in removal from the program.
Students will have two semesters to complete the following program requirements:
- Attend the mandatory Grad Rebel Advantage kick-off event
- Attend the mandatory Grad Rebel Advantage commencement event
- Attend two of the three mandatory workshops:
- Grad School 101: Everything you need to know about academic options after your bachelor's degree
- Undergraduate to Graduate Workshop
- Choosing and Being Chosen: How to Select a Graduate Program & Get Them to Select You (Only Available Fall Semester)
- Attend a minimum of 6 elective workshops for the program duration - these workshops are in addition to the 2 mandatory ones. The workshops below fulfill the requirements for the Grad Rebel Advantage Program. Please note, you must attend a minimum of 2 each semester (but you are required to complete at least 6). Failure to complete this minimum will make you ineligible to receive the Grad Rebel Advantage scholarship.
- Attend one (1) major campus research event
- Attend one (1) campus cultural event
- Have an appointment with an academic advisor to plan your program completion (fall or spring)
- Have at least one appointment with the Writing Center to work on a paper, writing sample, publication, or letter of application (fall or spring)
- Attend the four (4) mandatory cohort group mentorship sessions (one at kick-off event, one other in fall, one in spring, and one at the commencement event)
- Common project to culminate - 5-minute presentation to pitch graduate school
- Fall Cohort Meeting
- Spring Cohort Meeting
Note that requirements used to fulfill one category may not be used toward another.
Disclaimer: While new requirements will not be added, the names of some of the workshops, events, and other offerings may change and a schedule will be posted by early August.
Fall 2019 Event & Workshop Schedule
The workshops and events below will help fulfill the requirements for the Grad Rebel Advantage Program. You must RSVP for all workshops/events at least 24 hours in advance. To RSVP, please click on the workshop/event below. This will send you to the calendar entry page, which has the RSVP information. To determine which requirement the workshop/event fulfills, please click on it. The description will include this information.
The Fall 2019 Event & Workshop Schedule will be available in early August.
Workshop and Event Policies
- These workshops and events are free.
- No campus workshops or events taken prior to admission to the Grad Rebel Advantage Program may be counted toward the program. All workshops and events that count towards the Grad Rebel Advantage Program must be completed within one year (program duration).
- Students may only get credit for Grad Rebel Advantage workshops and events that they RSVP for at least 24 hours in advance.
- Only workshops or events that are successfully completed in full will count toward the program. To successfully complete a workshop/event, Grad Rebel Advantage participants must arrive on time, stay for the entire session, and be awake and engaged throughout its duration. Any assigned work must be completed by the deadline.
- Grad Rebel Advantage workshops/events carry no academic credit and do not appear on student transcripts.
Program Feedback Forms
All forms for program feedback (e.g., End of the Fall Semester Program Feedback and Final Program Feedback Forms) must be completed. We strongly encourage you to complete workshop and event feedback forms. You feedback is invaluable and helps us plan workshops/events for future semesters.
Mid-program Progress Form
Before winter break in December, Grad Rebel Advantage students will submit a mid-program progress form by Dec. 7 showing they have completed all fall requirements. Forms can be submitted to FDH 352 or via email to GradRebelAdvantage@unlv.edu. On approval of the form, students will be eligible to receive the first half of their scholarship.
Program Completion Form
Grad Rebel Advantage students must submit a program completion form by Wednesday, May 1st 2019 to earn their spring scholarship and Grad Rebel Advantage honor cord. In addition to completing all of the requirements for the program, students must be in good standing, enrolled full-time, and have maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75. Students must complete the program in the academic year they are admitted, unless approved otherwise due to an approved university leave of absence.
Please use the Completion Workshop Form to keep track of your progress. You will be emailed a survey link to input your completion report in April.
Grad Rebel Advantage Mentors
- Have completed at least one year of graduate studies at UNLV by program start date
- Be enrolled in at least 3 graduate credits while serving as a mentor in both fall and spring semesters
- Be in good academic standing in a graduate degree program
- Please complete the application in full by Friday, June 14, 2019. Applications must be submitted to the Graduate College Front Office (FDH #352).
- Attend & participate in the Grad Rebel Advantage Program kick-off on Friday, September 6, 2019 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Advise a cohort of 8-15 undergraduate students accepted to the program (send students emails regarding graduate education & the program, answer their questions, etc.)
- Host one cohort meeting in the fall semester & one in the spring semester with the undergraduate students
Program Co-Sponsors and Partners
This program is a collaborative effort between the Graduate College and a number of campus co-sponsors and partners. Co-sponsors include: Academic Advising, Financial Aid & Scholarships, and Student Engagement & Diversity. Partners include: Office of Undergraduate Research, Academic Success Center, Center for Academic Enrichment & Outreach, Graduate & Professional Student Association, The Intersection, University Libraries, UNLV Writing Center, and Career Services.