The Fitness Trainer Course lasts 6 weeks, consisting of 40+ hours of both academic-based and hands-on training. Program topics include but not limited to:
- Basic Anatomy
- Fundamentals of Kinesiology and Biomechanics
- Safety Cueing
- Injury Prevention
- Risk Management
- Specialty class instruction
At the conclusion of the course, trainees will complete a written exam to assess learning outcomes and complete a practical exam. OPTIONAL: The fitness program will then schedule formal interviews and practical assessments/auditions to complete the hiring process for those interested in working for Campus Recreational Services. Exam scores of 80% or higher are eligible for an interview.
Become a Personal Trainer or Group Fitness Instructor
Become a Personal Trainer
In addition to the basic fundamentals discussed above, the Personal Trainer option includes information related to HIPAA, legalities in the fitness and health industry, and motivational theory. Trainee’s will learn practical skills that include the execution of Fitness assessments based on the 5 components of fitness, exercise program design, and small group training. Trainees will receive a mock client to personal train for 5 sessions.
Become a Group Fitness Instructor
In addition to the basic fundamentals discussed above, the Group Fitness Instructor option includes applied, practical understanding of the key concepts in group fitness. Trainee’s will learn practical skills to instruct various class types that include: Strength, Mind/Body, Dance, Cardiovascular, and Equipment-Based. Each trainee will have the option to choose their preferred class type. Trainee’s will be matched with a veteran instructor in the Group Fitness program, co-teaching and applying the academic and hands-on skills to instruct a class.
Why become a Personal Trainer or Group Fitness Instructor?
- I want to educate people on how to live a healthier lifestyle
- I want to make my own lifestyle into a career, or supplement my current income with something I enjoy
- I want to educate and demonstrate to people about the body and what it is capable of
- I want to have a positive impact on people lives
- I want to love my job
Please note the following regarding the completion of the Fitness Training Course:
- Does not automatically result in employment
- Does not result in obtaining a formal National Certification. The course does provide trainee’s with fundamental knowledge necessary to begin studying for a National Certification Exam.
- No Refunds
Academic Based Lectures
- February 23rd, 4 p.m.-9 p.m.
- February 24th, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- February 25th, 1 a.m.-5 p.m.
Hands-On Practical Trainings
- March 16th, 4 p.m.-6 p.m.
- March 23rd, 4 p.m.-6 p.m.
- NSHE Students (UNLV, CSN): $50
- Faculty/Staff and Community Members: $150
Student Recreation and Wellness Center Meeting Rooms (Across from Student Health Center)