Current Students

Current students are encouraged to review the policy information listed below on a regular basis. Meeting with an advisor will ensure that students obtain the most updated information regarding their degree program and academic progress.

Administrative Forms & Petitions

There are a variety of administrative forms students may complete based on their specific situation. These include petitions, appeal forms, academic renewal, early reinstatement, credit overload, and more. Students are encouraged to contact the front desk when they schedule an advising appointment to inform them about the form they would like to complete so that their advisor can prepare it in advance.

Biology Repeat Policy & Repeat Grades

Students enrolled in a Biology course (abbreviated BIOL) are only able to attempt that course three times. If a student does not successfully complete the course within three attempts, that student will no longer be permitted to enroll in the course in the future. This includes attempts that are audited, grades and withdrawn.

Students who have reached the limit of retakes will be unable to transfer credit for these courses from another institution to complete a Biological Sciences degree at UNLV. If the courses cannot be retaken and are essential for completion of the degree, the student will be required to change their major when eligible. Successful course completion requires a letter grade of C or better for core Biology courses (BIOL 196, 197, 351, 304, & 415).

Students may repeat any UNLV course once at UNLV and not have the original grade included in the computation of the grade point average. When a course is repeated more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the grade point average. The repeat grade must be on the same grading option as the original grade. All grades will remain on the student’s transcript with suitable notation to ensure an accurate academic record.

For more information on the UNLV repeat policies, please review the most recent course catalog.

Career Guides

Interested in learning about what type of careers that are relevant to your degree program? View our sciences career guides for more information!

Course Permissions

Credit Overload Requests

Credit overloads are approved on a case-by-case basis by the college that houses your major. Students in the College of Sciences should have a minimum 3.30 cumulative GPA and have earned 30 or more credit hours to be considered for a credit overload.

Please talk to your advisor if you would like to submit a credit overload request. All overload petitions are reviewed by the advising center and the Executive Associate Dean of the college.

Declaring a Major

The College of Sciences Advising Center assists current and prospective UNLV students pursuing a major or minor within one of the following science departments:

  • Biological Sciences
  • Chemistry
  • Geosciences
  • Mathematical Sciences
  • Physics

The College of Sciences requires a 2.5 cumulative GPA and placement in MATH 126 or higher in order to declare a major in the College of Sciences.

Students who desire to declare a major or minor outside of the College of Sciences are advised to contact the specific advising center that houses that prospective major or minor. Students are unable to declare a major or minor, or any combination thereof, within the same department as their current major.

Dropping & Auditing

Students who drop/withdraw from a course are no longer be permitted to attend the course and will receive a W grade on their transcript. Students who audit a course will still be permitted to attend the course and will receive an AD grade on their transcript. W and AD grades count as attempted credits, but they will not impact a student’s UNLV GPA.

Auditing is helpful for students planning to retake the course in an upcoming semester. Please be aware of the drop/audit deadlines each semester and contact Financial Aid & Scholarships to discuss any financial consequences from dropping or auditing a course.

Duplicate Credits & Cross-listed Courses

Some courses that are similar in content may be considered to be cross-listed or have duplicate credits with another course. This information will be displayed underneath the course description in MyUNLV or on the course catalog. Students are encouraged to talk to their academic advisor about the implications of enrolling in these types of courses.

Full-time Status

Enrollment in 12 or more credits is considered full-time status for undergraduate students at UNLV. Certain financial aid packages and scholarships require a student to be enrolled full time. Please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.

GPA Calculations

Students must receive a 2.0 or higher cumulative GPA to stay in good academic standing within the College of Sciences and to graduate once all degree requirements are met. Some degree programs may have a major-specific GPA that must be met as well. Students can view their GPA through their Rebel Homepage via MyUNLV. Some scholarships may also be dependent on a certain cumulative or semester GPA.

Students’ semester GPA is calculated based on the courses completed in a given semester, while their cumulative GPA includes all courses completed at UNLV. Transfer courses may meet certain degree requirements, but will not factor into their UNLV GPA. Withdrawals and audits also do not factor into a student’s GPA.

Students who are interested in calculating their Sciences GPA for professional school preparation are encouraged to review the information available on the Pre-Professional Advising Center website.

Library Research Guides

University Libraries has a plethora of research databases and resources to assist science students. The links below will provide great starting points for your research needs.

Max Credits

Students who have earned less than 30 credits may enroll in a maximum of 17 credits per semester. Students who have earned 30 or more credits may enroll in a maximum of 18 credits per semester. Earned credits include transfer and AP/IB credits. An excess credit fee may apply for students who have more than 180 attempted credits.

Summer term I limits students to a maximum of 4 credits, while summer term II and III limit students to 7 credits per term. Students who wish to exceed these limitations must submit a credit overload form, which they can receive from their advising center.

Enrollment Holds

Holds are placed by departments for a variety of reasons. Students who have an advising hold and are pursuing a major within the College of Sciences should contact their advising center. If another department placed the hold, they should contact that department directly. The contact information is displayed in the “hold description” section of the Rebel Homepage in MyUNLV.

Holds can restrict enrollment in courses. Students whose enrollment date has passed, have no holds on their account, and believe that they are eligible to enroll in the course should contact the department that houses that course (e.g. School of Life Sciences for Biology courses). The department will be able to verify course eligibility and assist with enrollment.

Mid-Semester & Summer Term

Mid-semester courses are offered to students during the middle of each academic semester. These credit-bearing courses are five weeks long. The UNLV Academic Success Center has a webpage that provides more information about mid-semester courses.

Modular courses have non-standard start and end times. Students can determine whether a course is modular by reading its course description when searching for the course.

The summer term catalog releases around April of each year. Please view the summer term catalog to determine course offerings for the various summer terms (May through August).

Probation & Suspension

Students who are at risk of probation or suspension are encouraged to make an appointment with an advisor as soon as possible to discuss their situation. Students who are suspended are not permitted to enroll in courses for a period of no less than one year.

  • Probation = warning of unsatisfactory academic progress. Occurs if cumulative Grade Point Average falls below a 2.0.
  • Suspension = restricts enrollment in courses for one academic year. Occurs if Grade Point Balance is -15 or greater

Students who were on university suspension and have since become eligible for reinstatement are required to contact the College of Sciences Advising Center to schedule an appointment with an advisor. Students will not be able to enroll in courses without consulting an advisor to remove their suspension hold.

Students who are under university suspension become eligible for automatic reinstatement after a one year period. Students who choose not to enroll in courses after this time frame may become discontinued from UNLV and will be required to reapply. The College of Sciences does not currently have a college suspension policy. Please refer to the Academic Success Center webpage for more information about the suspension process.

Professional School

Students interested in attending professional school after their undergraduate studies are encouraged to visit the Pre-Professional Advising Center (PPAC) website to review information about common prerequisites and the application process.

Note: Students seeking admittance to a Nursing program are encouraged to speak with the Health Sciences Advising Center.

Resident Credit Policy

Students are not allowed to transfer equivalent courses from a non-NSHE school during their last 30 credits of their degree program, even with the appropriate grade. Failure to abide by this policy may result in a delayed graduation and additional coursework.

Special Student Populations

  • Honors students are encouraged to make an appointment with their Honors College advisor in addition to their College of Sciences advisor each semester. Their Honors College advisor will advise them about their Honors and general education requirements
  • International students are encouraged to check in with the International Students & Scholars office on a regular basis to ensure they are completing all required forms and maintaining their appropriate F-1 or J-1 status.
  • ROTC (Army & Airforce) students are encouraged to work closely with their ROTC advisor and their College of Sciences advisor to ensure they are completing their coursework for both programs simultaneously
  • Student athletes may have specific credit requirements to maintain their athletic scholarships and additional athletic obligations in addition to coursework. Please work with Student-Athlete Academic Services for additional guidance
  • Veteran students must complete a Semester Enrollment Form with their academic advisor each semester and submit it to the Military and Veteran Services Center by their specified deadline to receive funding benefits.

Student Resources

Please view the Resources webpage for links to various campus resources, including:

  • Calendars, drop deadlines, schedules
  • Degree information
  • Department contacts
  • Involvement
  • Placement exams
  • Research
  • Scholarships
  • Tutoring

Study Abroad

Students who are interested in studying abroad are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs. Once students finalize their study abroad program, we then recommend that they meet with their College of Sciences advisor for assistance with course planning.