Academic Policies and Forms

Learn about the different policies and forms that will be helpful to you during your studies at UNLV.

Policies and Procedures

General Petition

Students may submit a general petition for many different reasons (i.e., to have a course removed from their transcript, to remove a semester due to unforeseen circumstances, to file a grade grievance). The student's academic advisor, department chair, and dean must sign it. Students should be as thorough as possible in their petitions and submit any documents to support their case (i.e., medical documents).

Reinstatement Form

If you have been placed on suspension, you will need to fill out this reinstatement form and contact your advising center to assist you with the process.

Academic Renewal

The Academic Renewal Form is for students who have been away from UNLV for three or more years and wish to have a semester's grades dropped. For more information, contact the Registrar's Office. Those who get this approved will not be eligible for academic distinction.

College Probation

Each college has a minimum GPA that it considers good academic standing (i.e., the College of Education GPA is a 2.75). If a student falls below the minimum GPA required by the college, then he or she will be placed on college probation. Students who do not meet the minimum GPA for consecutive semesters may be placed on college suspension.

University Probation

A 2.0 GPA is considered good academic standing for the university. Once a student falls below a 2.0 GPA, then he or she is placed on university probation.

College Suspension

Each college has its own probation/suspension policy for students who do not meet the minimum requirements for good academic standing. Contact your college's advising center for more information.

University Suspension

If the UNLV GPB (Grade Point Balance) of a student already warned by college probation falls to a -15 or below, the university will suspend the student for a minimum of one calendar year. A suspended student will not be able to take any UNLV courses. Students wishing to return to UNLV after their one-year suspension period has been met, must schedule an appointment with the advising center for their declared major. Please visit the Advising Centers page for contact information.

For suspension policy information, please visit the UNLV catalog.

Grade Appeal

After final grades have been filed with the registrar, a grade in an undergraduate course may be changed only by the course instructor or by action of the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee. Grade appeals must be directed first to the instructor. If the student is not satisfied with the instructor's decision, the student may notify the Faculty Senate Office of the desire to file a grade grievance petition.

Minimum Credits for Graduation

The minimum number of semester credits required for a bachelor's degree for a student graduating under the regulations of the 2006–08 Undergraduate Catalog is 124. At least half of the credits required for a baccalaureate degree at the institution must be earned at a four-year institution, except in cases where transfer agreements for specific degrees have been made between institutions.

Resident Credit

Resident credit means any course that is satisfactorily completed at UNLV, except credit earned by special examination or correspondence courses. Correspondence study, credit by special examination, or enrollment in another institution within the Nevada System of Higher Education does not constitute an interruption of resident credit. A candidate for the bachelor's degree must complete the last 30 UNLV semester credits in uninterrupted resident credit as a declared major in the degree-granting college. A student must declare a major prior to enrolling in the last 30 UNLV resident credits. (Special examination, physical education activity courses, or correspondence credits are exempted.)

Repeating a Course
Any course may be repeated, regardless of the grade received. Credit will be allowed only once for successful completion of the course, except for the courses designated in the catalog as allowable repeats. A student may repeat any UNLV course once at UNLV and not have the original grade included in the computation of the grade point average. The repeat grade must be on the same grading option as the original grade. All grades will remain on the student's transcript with suitable notation to ensure an accurate academic record. For courses repeated prior to February 1971, both the original grade and the repeat grade are included in the grade point average.