Within the Academic Success Center, Student–Athlete Services (SAAS) assists student–athletes through their educational process from enrollment to graduation. Athletic academic advisors are often available on a walk–in basis as well as through scheduled appointments. They assist student–athletes with academic eligibility, planning class schedules, and deciding on degree programs that suit the needs of student–athletes. The SAAS staff can also help student–athletes with career planning, setting academic goals, academic support strategies, and graduation preparation. In addition, SAAS assists with recruiting, life skills, and alumni involvement.
Student-Athlete Academic Services at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas serves student-athletes in their transition, adjustment and retention, providing the resources for students to achieve success in the classroom and in life from enrollment to graduation and in their future careers and graduate study.
- Recruiting – Assist sports with introducing prospective students to the UNLV campus and academic opportunities.
- Advising – Meet regularly with student–athletes to determine a plan for obtaining the degree of their choice while meeting NCAA rules.
- Scheduling – Select classes that interest the student–athlete, stay on track for graduation, and fit within the difficult schedule of a student–athlete.
- REBS Life Skills – Offer a program for covering Academic Excellence, Athletic Excellence, Personal Development, Career Development and Community Service. This includes programs for new freshmen to transition them to demands of life at UNLV and in Las Vegas, as well as prepare all student–athletes to be successful after college.
- Graduation Preparation – Prepare students for graduation and life after sports, through community service, resume building, career development, and assistance with graduate school searches and applications.
- Alumni Involvement – Maintain contact with alumni student–athletes to serve as role models for and teach networking skills to current students.
Student-Athlete Academic Services (SAAS) offices are located in the Academic Success Center. This building is across from the Student Services Complex, located near the Central Desert Complex, Dining Commons, Residence Halls, and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.