In the UNLV Department of Communication Studies (COM) there are faculty members (and their students) who conduct social-scientific research studies. Through their work, students have opportunities to accrue research credits, which may count as course credit or extra credit in COM classes. Students may earn credit in two ways:
- Participate in research studies.
- Complete the approved alternative assignment provided by the research participation coordinator.
Dr. Tara McManus
First, consult your course syllabi for information about how many research credits your instructor is requiring in a given semester. Next, register with the COM Research Participation System, the COM SONA—Student Handout provides instructions and tips for creating and managing your COM SONA account.
After you sign up, periodically visit the website for new studies that might become available. The COM Research Participation Article Summary Handout provides instructions for completing the alternative assignment.
For Fall 2017
- The final day to sign up to participate in research is Tuesday, November 28 at 5 p.m.
- The final day to request the alternative assignment is Tuesday, November 28 at 5 p.m.
- All research credits must be completed (i.e., "earned") by Friday, December 1 at 5 p.m.
- All credit disputes must be resolved by Friday, December 8 at 5 p.m.
If you dispute the credits displayed in SONA, please contact the Research Participation Coordinator first before speaking with your instructor.