Types of Assistance

Barrick Fellowships, Alumni Scholarships, and Graduate Student Association Scholarships are available. For additional information on grants, loans, and employment opportunities may be obtained through the Graduate College. The Graduate and Professional Student Association also offers financial assistance.

A full-tuition waiver is available as well as monthly stipends and options for health care.

Financial support from the department such as support for conference travel, paid assistantships, and opportunities for summer teaching are also available.

Communication Studies Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA)

The Department of Communication Studies annually awards a number of graduate teaching assistantships. Graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) receive invaluable guidance and hands-on classroom experience teaching sections of basic courses in Communication Studies to UNLV’s undergraduate students. There are a variety of courses that GTAs can teach, including public speaking, interpersonal communication, and/or critical thinking and public argument. Our department is constantly growing and branching out to more topics of communication studies where the GTAs are also finding multiple chances to teach other topics. GTAs can teach no more than six credits per semester. The program allows students to teach a class over the summer where they gain extra experience in the academic field. There may also be opportunities for students to work as a research graduate assistant (RA) to directly support faculty research, and opportunities to assist faculty in other courses.

Benefits of a Graduate Teaching Assistantship

  • Includes an $11,250 nine-month stipend for master's-level graduate students.
  • Students who come from out of state will have their out-of-state tuition waived while employed as a GTA. This only holds if they are a GTA.
  • Up to nine graduate-level credits will be paid by the Graduate College through the Graduate College’s state-funded program. 
  • All GTAs require health insurance while employed. All state funded graduate assistants and most extramurally funded graduate assistants enrolled in the UNLV Student Health Insurance will be given a stipend that will go towards a portion of the premium. Visit the Student Health Center to learn more about student health insurance.

Apply for a Graduate Assistantship

If you are interested in a Graduate Assistantship please apply within the Grad Rebel Gateway system along with your regular application. For fall semester assistantship (and priority consideration) please apply by January 15.

Learn more about becoming a graduate assistant on the Graduate College website.

If you have any questions, please contact Graduate Coordinator Dr. David Gruber, at david.gruber@unlv.edu.