Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an essential step to receiving financial aid and scholarships. It's what colleges and the federal government use to determine how much financial aid you're eligible to receive. And in some cases, the U.S. Department of Education will request verification from applicants.
If you're a little confused about the verification process, here's a step-by-step guide for what to do and where to go for help.
- Don't panic.
- Freaking out? Don't worry. The verification process ensures that you receive all of the financial aid you are eligible for at UNLV. And being selected for verification is not uncommon. About one-quarter of FAFSAs are selected for verification each year by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Do act as quickly as possible.
- "Time is of the essence. UNLV cannot award you a financial aid package until you complete verification," Zack Goodwin, executive director of financial aid and scholarships, says. "Make sure you review the instructions carefully in your MyUNLV To-Do List. Then, complete the Verification Form in the Self-Service Help Center. The form will be specific to you and will include instructions for which documents you need to provide."
- Don't ignore verification requests.
- You don't want to miss out on receiving financial aid, including federal aid, state grants, and institutional aid. The time it takes to process your verification depends on many factors, including the receipt of all required documentation and your response to additional requests.
- Be sure to frequently check your Rebelmail, MyUNLV To-Do List, and the Self-Service Help Center for updates or additional documentation requests to ensure timely processing.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- "If you're not sure where to start, have a few questions, or want to make sure you're providing the correct documentation, contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office for assistance. We're here to help!" Goodwin encourages students.
Submit your verification forms and documents by Friday, July 23, 2021, to ensure a review of your verification before the fall 2021 semester. Learn more about verification.