Master of Music
The Master of Music degree in Music Education – Graduate Licensure develops advanced competencies in music teaching and provides the means for students holding an undergraduate music degree the opportunity to earn teaching licensure in Nevada.
For accreditation information, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Students graduating from the UNLV School of Music with a Master of Music degree will:
- Demonstrate advanced competencies in the area of specialization requisite for artistic expression.
- Display the ability to work in the area of specialization with a broad range of knowledge, skills, and perspectives within a full range of musical styles, including the capacities to engage musically, artistically, and intellectually beyond the area of specialization.
- Develop advanced capabilities to work independently and make effective artistic and intellectual judgments and professional decisions in the area of specialization.
- Synthesize performance, historical, stylistic, analytical, and technological information to form musical interpretations and inform scholarly research.
- Demonstrate broad graduate-level perspectives on contemporary issues and problems in music education, including curriculum development, teaching methodology, educational innovation, etc (Music Education Only).
There are many careers and job options available to musicians with the talent, skill, and imagination that we help you develop through your academic program.
Most musicians do a combination of jobs and professional activities, including:
- Arts administrator
- Music technologist
Performers find employment as:
- Solo and chamber musicians
- Commercial or studio musicians
- Ensemble players
- Military ensemble performers
Composers work as:
- Film Composers
Music educators teach in:
- Private studios
- Public schools
- Colleges and universities
- Community music schools
- Early childhood music programs (Suzuki, Kindermusik, etc.)
There are many other positions in arts administration; artist management; media music; music retailing; instrument repair, manufacturing, and design; and the recording industry. Only the talent, skill, and imagination of the candidate limit your career.