Master of Education - Special Education
The M.Ed. program in the Department of Educational & Clinical Studies is designed to meet the needs of persons who hold a baccalaureate degree and wish to earn a master's degree in special education or early childhood education, with or without licensure. Students are expected to develop a plan of study that is most relevant to their educational purposes. Students seeking a license to teach should be aware that certification or endorsement requirements might limit their choices. A number of specific focus areas are available and can lead to the following Nevada Department of Education endorsements: Autism, Early Childhood, Early Childhood Special Education, Generalist-Mild Disabilities, Gifted and Talented, Intellectual Disabilities, Teaching English as a Second Language; or other professional areas, such as Applied Behavioral Analysis.
For accreditation information, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Articulate the pros and cons of current issues and trends in Special Education and the field of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Identify and differentiate between science-based and non-science based treatment and instruction for students/individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Describe and define general developmental, academic, social, career, and functional characteristics of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders as they relate to levels of support needed.
- Identify and differentiate between different placement alternatives for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders, including home-based and school-based programs.
- Assist students, with the support of parents and other professionals, in planning for transition to adulthood including employment and community and daily life, with maximum opportunities for full participation in community and decision making.
- Licensed teacher
- Private consultant
- Education specialist
- Non-profit organization director or employee
- State Education Department director or employee