Do I need to take the GMAT before I apply?

No, you can take the GMAT or GRE up to the application deadline as long as you provide the unofficial scores to the MSA Director while waiting for an official score report from the testing center.

For how long are GMAT scores valid?

Scores are valid for 5 years from the test date.

Do I need to submit letters of recommendation or a statement of intent?

No, neither is required.

How do I determine my residency status?

All new graduate students are considered non-residents unless they provide a copy of a NV high school diploma as part of the application and must complete a residency application. Visit the Nevada Residency Requirements page for more information and the application. You will be billed for non-resident tuition until your residency status is determined.

Do I need to take the TOEFL if I am an international student or attended college outside of the United States?

If your primary language is not English, you must submit an acceptable score taken in the last two years on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL is waived for students who completed degree programs conducted in English in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, or New Zealand.

How long does it take to complete the MSA degree?

The length of the program varies based on whether you go to school full-time (9-12 credits per semester) or part-time and if you have additional courses to complete because you do not have an undergraduate background in accounting. The number of required courses ranges from 10 for students with an undergraduate degree in accounting to 15 for students without one. Full-time students are typically able to complete the MSA program within one year for 10 courses and within two years for 15 courses. Keep in mind that many of the 700 level accounting courses are offered only once per year or may not be offered every academic year. Also, a limited number of graduate accounting courses are offered during the summer.

How long do I have to complete the MS degree?

Degree requirements must be completed in six years.

Can I take a semester off?

Yes, a Leave of Absence Request form is available in the Grad Rebel Gateway under the forms tab.

Can I take more than 15 credits per semester?

Approval is required from the Graduate College. You will need to complete an Authorization for Overload Form which can be found in the Grad Rebel Gateway under the forms tab.

Can I take a 600 level course that I took at the 400 level?


Can I use course work from another degree program?

Course(s) that were used in another degree program cannot be used again for credit.

Can I transfer in course work from another institution?

Yes, if the university/college is accredited, the classes were not used in another degree program, and a grade of ‘B’ or better was earned. A maximum of nine credits may be transferred in; however, the six-year policy still applies. Any course work completed more than six calendar years before the term in which all degree requirements are met will not count towards the degree.

Is a ‘C’ grade acceptable?

Yes, you must earn a ‘C’ or better in any class that is a part of your course work for the degree as long as your overall GPA is 3.0 or better. Course grades lower than a ‘C’ will not be counted toward the degree.

What do I do if I am unable to register for a graduate accounting course?

Send an email requesting enrollment to the MSA Director. Please provide your student number (NSHE ID).

Can I take a non-accounting elective course that is not on the approved list?

You must contact the MSA Director for permission or you will not receive credit for the class.

What do I do if I am not able to register for a non-accounting elective course?

You will need to contact the respective department with any registration issues as classes are under the purview of the department offering the class.