Graduate Admission Requirements and Process
The Master of Science in Accounting is a professional degree designed to enhance the skills of those planning careers in accounting. The program of study includes advanced coursework in topics such as auditing, financial accounting, accounting systems, and taxation. The Master of Science in Accounting requires a minimum of 30 credit hours above the bachelor's degree.
The A.A.C.S.B. – International Association for Management Education accredits the Master of Science in Accounting.
Each student must satisfy the following requirements for admission into the Master of Science in Accounting:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
- Students must have satisfactorily completed introductory financial accounting.
- A minimum GMAT score of 550 and a minimum score in the 25th percentile or higher on Verbal and a minimum score in the 25th percentile or higher on Quantitative.
- The GMAT may be waived for UNLV accounting students who have a 3.25 GPA in the core accounting courses (ACC 400, 401, 402, 405, 409, 410 and 470).
- Compliance with the Graduate College admission standards.
Students who have not completed all the following courses (or equivalent courses) as part of their bachelor's degree may be required to complete them as a condition of their admission prior to graduation from the Master of Science in Accounting:
- ACC 600 – Accounting Environment
- ACC 601 – Financial Reporting I
- ACC 602 – Financial Reporting II
- ACC 609 – Accounting Information Systems
- ACC 610 – Federal Taxation
- ACC 670 – Auditing and Assurance Services
- ACC 673 – Law For Accountants I
Note: These courses will not count toward the 30 credits required for the Master of Science in Accounting.
The UNLV Department of Accounting MSA programs are open to graduates from all undergraduate disciplines. See above for admission requirements.
Application materials for each semester must be filed at the Graduate College according to the information below.
- A complete application with non-refundable fee. Grad Rebel Gateway is your online application tool to submit your information and required materials. The Accounting Department does not require a separate application.
- Official Transcripts of all college-level course work previously taken. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded into the application and emailed to the director of the MS in Accounting program to speed up the admission process, but official transcripts must be submitted to the address below for your admission decision to be finalized. Mail transcripts to:
UNLV Graduate College
University Gateway Building
4700 S. Maryland Pkwy. Ste. 200
Las Vegas, NV 89119
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). You can upload a copy of your GMAT score into the application. However, an official copy must be received by the Accounting Department before the start of the semester of admission. You can request an official copy of your GMAT score from the GMAT testing agency.
- Immunization records. All admitted students must provide documentation of having received the tetanus-diphtheria (Td) immunization within the last 10 years. More information on immunization requirements can be found on the Admissions website. Send records to:
Office of Admissions
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1021
- English Proficiency. International applicants must provide proof of English proficiency or meet the exemption requirements established by the Graduate College. The Graduate College English proficiency requirements are found on the Graduate College website.
* Note: the following items are not required and to be left blank in application:
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Employment history or resume
Nevada Residency Status
For tuition purposes, all new graduate students are classified out-of-state until Nevada residency is determined via the residency application process. This includes students who completed their undergraduate degree at UNLV as in-state student. In order to obtain Nevada residency, you must download the residency application and submit it along with the required supporting documentation by the first day of the semester in which you are applying for residency. Residency is determined by the UNLV admissions office. Get more information regarding residency requirements.