Welcome to the OLLI @ UNLV Research site!
We are a team of social scientists who are interested in learning more about the social and health benefits of participating in OLLI at UNLV. To study this, we are conducting a survey of OLLI at UNLV participants asking questions about their OLLI experiences and their social health and well-being.
This research project is important for understanding the benefits of OLLI for its members and how adult education programs benefit older adults by helping them stay engaged in a social and intellectual community.
Research on older adults’ health and well-being and community-based adult education programs are gaining increased attention as more people become aware of the trends in population aging.
This research project is important because:
- Little is known about longitudinal trends of the association between well-being and adult education programs focusing on community-dwelling older adults.
- Healthy community-dwelling older adults are understudied compared to less healthy older adults.
- Little is known about the specific pathways (e.g., new knowledge and social networks) between adult education programs and participants’ well-being.
- We lack information about OLLI at UNLV participants’ basic characteristics and their satisfaction with the program.
Why Las Vegas?
Las Vegas is a strategic location to study because it is racially and culturally diverse. Additionally, the Las Vegas suburbs have experienced considerable growth in the older population.
Benefits of the Research
- Participating in our study will provide information that will help OLLI at UNLV continue to improve their educational programming and continue to meet its members’ needs.
- This study will increase scientific knowledge about the relationship of adult education programs to community-dwelling older adults’ well-being as a model case for aging in diverse American society.
- OLLI at UNLV will benefit from this study by gaining valuable knowledge about its participants, which may help guide recruitment efforts and curriculum modifications.
Publications and Reports
- Yamashita, T., López, E. B, Keene, J. R., & Stevens, J. (In Press). Types of lifelong learning activities and life satisfaction among urban community-dwelling older adults. Activities, Adaptation & Aging.
- Yamashita, T., López, E. B*, Keene, J. R., & Soligo, M. (2016). “Older Lifelong Learners’ Motivations for Participating in Formal Volunteer Activities in Urban Communities.” Adult Education Quarterly. DOI: 10.1177/0741713616688957
- Yamashita, T., López, E. B*., Keene, J. R., & Kinney, J. M. (2015). “Identifying Predictors of Adult Education Program Satisfaction in Urban Community-Dwelling Older Adults.” Educational Gerontology, 41, 825-838. DOI: 10.1080/03601277.2015.1050909
- Yamashita, T., Keene, J. R., López, E. B, Stevens, J., Soligo, M. (2014). Osher Lifelong Learning at University of Nevada, Las Vegas: Survey Report Fall 2014
- Yamashita, T., Lopez, E. B., & Keene, J. R. “Is participation in adult education programs associated with well-being in urban community-dwelling older adults?” Poster presentation presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Conference. Orlando, Florida. November 21, 2015.
- Yamashita, T., Keene, J. R., & López, E. B. “Benefits of Lifelong Learning for Well-being.” Las Vegas Review Journal Successful Aging Expo. Las Vegas, NV. January 31, 2015.
- Yamashita, T., López, E. B, & Keene, J.R. “Predictors of Adult Education Program Satisfaction among Las Vegas Community-Dwelling Older Adults.” Poster presentation presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Conference. Washington, D.C. November 7, 2014.
- Yamashita, T., Keene, J.R., López, E. B. “Benefits of Lifelong Learning for Wellbeing.” UNLV University Forum Lecture Series. Las Vegas, NV. October 15, 2014.
- López, E., Yamashita, T., & Keene, J. R. “Social Support and Depression among Older Adults in Urban Community-Based Education Programs.” Poster presentation presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA. November 23, 2013.
- Yamashita, T., López, E., & Keene, J. R. “Predictors of Adult-Education Program Satisfaction among Urban Community-Dwelling Older Adults.” Poster presentation presented at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA. November 23, 2013.
The OLLI @ UNLV survey is currently closed. Please check back when it's live.