Undergraduate Admission

To be admitted as a sociology major, you need to have a GPA of 2.0. You can declare sociology as a major at any time. If you would like to switch your major to sociology, The Wilson Advising Center can assist you with this.

Graduate Admission​

To Apply for Admission to our Ph.D. program (either post BA or post MA track) see the Graduate College Future Students website.

Department of Sociology Admission Requirements

  • Three letters of recommendation, preferably from university or college faculty who can knowledgeably evaluate your ability to perform at the graduate level of study. These letters should discuss your academic performance, motivation, character, and promise for success in the M.A. or Ph.D. program.
  • A written statement from you explaining your academic background, objectives, interests in sociology, and tentative career plans. Be sure to highlight any relevant extra-curricular activities, and why you are interested in UNLV's program in particular. It is a good idea to contact particular faculty with whom you might like to work to discuss research interests and opportunities, and mention these in your written statement.
  • GRE scores and transcripts of all college-level work, bachelor’s and graduate as applicable.
  • For masters program applicants: one academic writing sample.
  • For doctoral program applicants: send an M.A. level thesis and/or at least two original papers of substantial length and quality in an area of sociological inquiry, solely written by the applicant. If your thesis was written in a language other than English, you must translate it or send two papers in English.
  • International students must take both the TOEFL and the test of Written English and receive satisfactory scores on both.
  • If you are interested in applying for a graduate assistantship, please be sure to indicate this in your written statement and include a copy of the assistantship application form that you submitted to the Graduate College.
  • The department will consider all evidence for potential entry in the program. Keep in mind that admission is competitive and we only admit a limited number of students each year.

When Do I Apply?

The deadline for admission is February 1. If you want to apply for a graduate assistantship you must also do so before February 1.

The department does not admit students at any other time except very rarely under special circumstances. Ignore any other information that states admission deadlines other than that above.

It takes a minimum of 30-60 days for the university and department to process applications. You should receive notification on the status of your application at the end of that time.