This office supports the efforts of the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost and is responsible for:
- Maintenance, oversight, updates, and improvements to the physical space inventory software (Archibus/Web Central)
- Routine audits of selected buildings and divisions to verify database information
- Receive and analyze requests for additional space
- Routine analysis of campus space needs at the division and departmental level and for selected space types such as classroom or research facilities
- Input and analysis of space needs in new construction and major renovations
- Space planning and budgeting related to capital plan phasing and department relocations
- Other ad hoc studies and space management recommendations as required
- Manage the Space Committee and Campus Planning Priorities Committee processes
Every space on campus is identified with a room number, department allocation, and room category. NSHE requires institutions to follow the guidelines in the Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual (FICM) to calculate square footage and categorize space. Any changes to a space that impacts the room categorization or floor plan, must go through the Space Committee process prior to the change being made.
Departments are required to complete an annual Departmental Review Survey to verify there are no changes to their space. In addition, Space Management tours buildings every 3-4 years to verify floor plans.
This data, along with the following space planning guidelines, assists in determining current and future space needs for the university. Space Management strives to use this information in collaboration with Real Estate and Planning & Construction to meet department programmatic and functional needs in the most efficient and cost effective manner.