The Space Request Process
Space requests include new space, reclassification of current space, and major renovations to an existing space. Requests (except for the School of Medicine) will be submitted on this form and will automatically be routed to the Department Chair and Dean/Director for electronic approval before being reviewed by the Space Committee.
Requests for School of Medicine (academic, clinical and research) space will be submitted through this form.
Before completing the form, please be prepared to answer the following questions (if applicable). Note that you may attach a document if you prefer.
- A detailed description of the project or request.
- Detailed space requirements – occupants, power, data, fume hood, etc (i.e. 2 offices for full-time staff, 1 office for a Director, 2 workstations for 5 students/GA's, etc).
- If this space is for a new hire, was this space need included in the hiring request?
- Location requirements/preferences. Please explain if the project, activity or service function must be located in a specific building/area.
- When is the space needed?
- Where the project is currently located and why it needs to move, change classification, or renovations?
- What options have been considered within the Division and Department’s current allocated space? Explain in detail why these are not suitable for this request.
- What will happen to the current space?
- If renovations and/or furniture are needed, how will this be funded?
- Any additional information that is applicable to the request.
Requests with missing information or approvals will not be considered until all details are provided. The committee will review the requests and either ask for more information or send a recommendation to the appropriate Vice President for final approval. Once initial approvals are received, the Space Committee process should not take any longer than 2 weeks.
The Space Committee does not recommend or approve funding.
Some requests will be required to also go through the Campus Planning Priorities Committee (CPPC) process. These requests will automatically be entered into the process once they receive final Space Committee approval.
If you have any questions about the Space Committee process, please contact Space Management or one of the representatives on the Space Committee.