University Identity

You are here


The UNLV Licensing Program

UNLV has established a licensing program to protect, promote, and enhance the image and brand of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

The UNLV Licensing Program ensures the control and proper presentation of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas brand and protects the appropriate use of those trademarks, service marks, logos, and insignias that have come to be associated with the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Revenues generated through the UNLV Licensing Program are used to support and enhance the quality of life for students, faculty, and staff across our campus.

The UNLV Licensing Program continually works to ensure fair business practices through education, enforcement, and promotional efforts. To expand the program and ensure its growth, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas has partnered with a licensing agent to serve as its exclusive trademark licensing representative.

The UNLV licensing program helps to ensure the UNLV brand identity is properly represented on products and services marketed to the public. The licensing program is responsible for determining if a product and design are consistent with the goals and image of the university and to ensure that the quality, liability, production, and other distribution of products meets the university’s standards.

Back to top

Commercial Use

Any non-university persons or entities, university departments, students, employees or registered student organizations that want to use the university marks in connection with the commercial sale or resale of goods or services must obtain products from a university-licensed vendor or themselves be licensed before offering products for sale. Advance approval from the university is required whether the commercial use will be ongoing or associated with a one-time event, such as using a mark on a poster announcing an event or an item to be sold as a fundraiser.

Any manufacturer interested in producing products bearing the marks of UNLV must follow these steps to become licensed:

  1. Contact the licensing agent. Complete and submit the application to the licensing agent for approval.
  2. Submit all products to the licensing agent for review and approval.
  3. Forward administration fee and applicable royalty advances to the licensing agent.
  4. Sign and return a Standard Licensing Agreement issued by the licensing agent .
  5. Maintain a current certificate of product liability insurance.
  6. Submit all final artwork to the university for approval prior to production.

Back to top

Non-commercial Use that Requires University Approval

All proposed modifications of university marks require prior university approval. All uses of university marks by non-university commercial entities require prior approval even if the proposed uses do not involve the sale of a product; e.g., exhortatory announcements in newspapers or athletics programs.

Back to top

Non-commercial Use that Does Not Require University Approval

Most uses of university marks by university-affiliated departments and groups do not require prior approval, including:

  • University Departments: The use of university marks by university departments in the ordinary course of conducting university business provided they make no changes to university marks. Examples include the use of unmodified university marks on signs, flags, uniforms, official university websites, official university catalogs, publications, reports and similar materials, course materials used in University courses, and on stationery and business cards by university departments as directed in this website.
  • News Reporting and Fair Use: Use of the name of the university or university marks in connection with news reporting and other fair uses that do not undermine the university’s rights in its marks.

Back to top


No merchandise or use of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas logos and trademarks will be approved when used in conjunction with or making reference to:

  • Drugs or drug paraphernalia
  • Alcohol, alcohol consumption and/or abuse
  • Tobacco products and usage
  • Sexual conduct, imagery, or inferences
  • Profanity or inappropriate insensitive language
  • Gambling
  • Firearms and weapons
  • Political and religious endorsements
  • Any other merchandise or use of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas logos and trademarks judged by the UNLV Licensing Program to be inappropriate, unacceptable, or inconsistent with standard licensing practices of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Back to top

Produced by UNLV Web Communications | © 2015 University of Nevada, Las Vegas Website Feedback