Frequently Asked Questions About Licensing

What qualifies as a trademark?

Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark and is the sole property of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

What products should be licensed?

By law, all products bearing a university trademark may only be produced by licensed manufacturers. This rule applies not only to merchandise sold commercially through wholesalers and retailers, but to ALL distributors, including university employees, students, alumni, fans, etc.

What is a royalty?

A royalty is a fee paid by a licensee for the commercial use of a trademark. Items intended to be sold externally (i.e. t-shirts for retail sale) are subject to royalties. Items intended for internal use by UNLV employees (i.e. uniforms) are exempt from royalties except if the internal use is the intended resale of the item for fundraising.

Who needs a license?

Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the university must obtain a license. No products will be licensed without the approval of the University through its licensing representative, the Licensing Resource Group (LRG). This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and in good taste, and denies approval of potentially hazardous items.

What if you do not get a license?

All products must be approved through the University. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University is a violation of federal trademark laws and will be grounds for seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University’s marks. It also can result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

How can you obtain a license?

Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application to the Licensing Resource Group (LRG). This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by downloading an application packet at the Licensing Resource Group’s website.

What is the Licensing Resource Group?

LRG works with the University Marketing Department to ensure that the use of any UNLV mark is consistent with the standards and goals of the University. LRG helps facilitate the licensing process for licensees; executes licensing agreements; monitors the marketplace for unlicensed use of trademarks; collects royalties and conducts compliance review audits of licensed manufacturers.

How is licensed merchandise identified?

The “Officially Licensed Collegiate Products” hologram label identifies merchandise that has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and certifies that a portion of the purchases is returned to the University.

Can you sell a product to the campus bookstore?

The UNLV Bookstore is owned and operated by the Barnes and Noble College Booksellers and works with a group of vendors to bring new products to the market each year. For more information on the bookstore’s wholesale buying practice, contact the UNLV Bookstore at 702-736-3955.

Can alumni or student groups sell products using the University’s marks as a fundraiser?

Alumni and student groups are allowed to sell officially licensed products bearing the University’s marks and logo if they work with a licensed vendor of the University. There are many local vendors that are already licensed to use UNLV marks and logos. Please check the UNLV Licensed Vendor list.

Can I use the University’s name or logo on a web site?

The use of the University’s trademarks requires permission from the Licensing Department of UNLV Intercollegiate Athletics at 702-895-0294. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build Web pages with the University’s name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in all instances.