Eligibility – Students/Scholarship Recipients
Teach Nevada Scholarship funds must award scholarships to new students who enter with the intent to complete a teacher preparation program that makes the student eligible to obtain a license to teach early childhood, elementary, secondary, or special education. A new requirement under Teach Nevada Scholarship is all recipients must complete an endorsement in either English Language Acquisition Development (ELAD) or Special Education (ESP). If a student will be pursuing a teaching licensure in Special Education this fulfills the endorsement requirement.
Eligible students may include, without limitation:
- Recent high school graduates who have not yet enrolled in a teacher preparation program
- Students who are currently enrolled in a non-education related college/university degree program and change their academic program to teacher preparation;
- Students who have completed some credits at a university or college who re-enroll in a teacher preparation program;
- Veterans and the spouses of veterans; and
- Students who have had some experience working in a classroom, including as a paraprofessional.
Note: Students who are already enrolled in a traditional preparation program in Nevada at the time of the scholarship application are not eligible. If an applicant has already earned a Bachelor's degree, please refer to the Alternative Route to Licensure (ARL) TEACH Nevada Scholarship application.
- Enrolled as a current or new student at UNLV
- Writing Sample (see details below) uploaded to the application. The writing sample is a 500-word essay that addresses the following:
- Express why you would like to be part of the Teacher Education Program at UNLV
- Describe any experiences you have had tutoring/teaching children or young adults
- Provide a brief overview of your educational experiences and they will facilitate your development as a teacher; and
- What are your greatest strengths and attributes that will guide your development as a teacher?
Teach Nevada Traditional Scholarship Application
Complete the application via the link below by June 1, 2020 to be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately after the application close date.
Teach Nevada Scholarship Traditional