Bachelor of Arts in English; Concentration in Professional Writing
The Bachelor of Arts in English follows a course of historical study in the English language and the literatures of Britain and the United States, as well as related English-language traditions and literary works in translation. Students are trained in composition and proceed with a solid grounding in critical theory to explore literature as an artistic medium and an intellectual discipline. They acquire skills in writing and textual analysis designed to complement other academic studies and to enhance later professional and personal goals.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to read, write, and think critically.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of English language and linguistics.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of theoretical and critical methods.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of multi-ethnic literature.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in designing, writing, and editing print and digital texts for a variety of audiences and purposes in professional contexts.
- Students will demonstrate project management skills.
- Student will exhibit a complex understanding of common professional writing genres.
- Students will exhibit an ability to collaborate effectively at all stages of a writing project.
- Students will exhibit visual design awareness and acuity.
- Students will apply a broad repertoire of research and critical-thinking skills that reflect an awareness of cultural contexts.
- Students will develop strategies for learning digital/software applications and acquiring expertise.
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.