Follow these steps if you're a newly admitted military veteran student.

What to Do Immediately

  • College Transcript(s) – If you have taken or are taking college-level course work, submit all official college transcripts in order to receive transfer credit and be placed in appropriate UNLV courses. Submit these transcripts prior to attending orientation.

    High School Transcript – If you have fewer than 24 transferable college credits, you must also submit official SAT or ACT scores and an official high school transcript.

    Military Training Transcript – All military members using VA education benefits must submit their military training transcript. Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy can request these transcripts electronically. Air Force must contact Air University to request a transcript.

  • Determine your eligibility and apply online for your VA benefit. If approved, you will receive a VA Certificate of Eligibility in approximately 30 days. Please forward a copy to the Military & Veteran Services Center (MVSC).

  • Rebelmail is your student email account and the university’s official means of communicating with you. Activate your account as soon as possible so you don’t miss out on important information about deadlines, major campus events, and announcements.

  • Monitor your To Do List and Communication Center in MyUNLV regularly throughout your enrollment process as well as throughout your studies at UNLV to receive important notifications. MyUNLV allows you to manage everything including registering for classes, checking your grades, and paying your tuition and fees.

  • Nevada grants residency for tuition purposes, with proof of documentation, to all honorably discharged veterans within five years of separation and for military family members using VA Education Benefits within three years of separation.

  • Visit the UNLV VA Certifying Official’s website to get a detailed checklist for your chapter of benefits. Complete all checklist tasks according to the applicable chapter of your VA Education Benefits.

  • Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can help you gain additional assistance with paying for college. You will also be automatically considered for institutional scholarships.

    The FAFSA becomes available Oct. 1. Priority consideration for financial aid and scholarships will be given to those who submit a completed FAFSA by Nov. 15. You may apply after Nov. 15; however, funding may be limited.

  • All new students must speak with an academic advisor in the area of their major in order to register for classes. After registering for classes, you must have your advisor sign your Semester Enrollment Form.

  • For students using VA Education Benefits, you can complete your benefit certification by logging into MyUNLV and clicking on the Resources tile from your Rebel Student Homepage. Click VA Educations Benefits. Then, select the Term and select the appropriate VA Chapter for your benefits.

    Be sure to submit your VA Certificate of Eligibility or VA form 22-1905 (from your Vocational Rehabilitation counselor), and DD-214 member 4 copy to the Military & Veteran Services Center. For Active Duty Military Tuition Assistance or Nevada National Guard Tuition Waiver, users submit TA paperwork to the Cashiering & Student Accounts Office.

  • To register for our Rebel Vet Transition Orientation, log into MyUNLV and click the New Student Orientation Registration link found in the To Do List of your Tasks tile. Orientation is a perfect time to learn about the programs and services available to assist and support you through your educational journey at UNLV. Learn more about exactly how VA education benefits work, earn priority registration, gain valuable tips for success, network with other student veterans on campus, and more!

  • Make the most of your college experience by living on campus. Learn more about your housing and dining choices. The priority deadline for residence hall applications is June 1.

What to Do Before You Arrive on Campus

  • All enrolled students who attend classes on campus must provide documentation of immunizations. We recommend you submit these as soon as possible to prevent possible registration holds on your account. Find out what’s required and where to submit your proof of immunizations.

  • Our goal is to build camaraderie within our UNLV community. Connect with peers through the Student Veteran Organization, Rebel Vets. Discover various campus resources including VetSuccess, Peer Advisor Veterans Education (PAVE), and more.