Proof of English Proficiency
For general admission to UNLV, international students must provide proof of English proficiency through one of the following ways. (Note that admission to the Hospitality Management major has higher requirements. The BSN program in the School of Nursing requires a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 100 upon application to the upper division.)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score-13 Reading, 12 Listening, 21 Writing (Paper-delivered Test); 61 (iBT exam)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score (must be academic version)-Overall band of 6.0; no band below 5.5.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)-Overall score of 44.
- UNLV institutional Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (Online MTELP) Level 3 -100 (computer-based ); 76 (paper-based)
- University-level English course from a US institution, equivalent to UNLV English 101 with a grade of C or above (Note: The College of Hotel Administration does not accept this form of English proficiency.)
- ACT/SAT scores- ACT 18 English (ENGL); SAT prior to March 2016, 500 Critical Reading (CREAD); SAT March 2016 onward, 480 reading/writing (ERWS)
Applicants from the following nations are exempt from the English proficiency requirement: Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Fiji, Irish Republic, Jamaica, New Zealand, St. Kitt & Nevis, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Singapore, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, North Ireland), US Virgin Islands.