Frequently Asked Questions

Student Health Center


What is the Student Health Center (SHC)?

The UNLV Student Health Center is an accredited facility by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). Our board-certified clinicians and health care team are dedicated to helping you prevent injury, treat illness, and reduce the risk of acute and chronic disease. The Student Health Center is an invaluable on-campus resource for students and is a part of UNLV Student Wellness and the division of Student Affairs

Where is the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is located inside the Student Wellness Center, which is located on the first floor of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC) building to the east of the Thomas & Mack Center parking lot/parking garage.

When is the Student Health Center open?

Please visit the Appointments/Hours page for information. Hours of operation are subject to change.

Are the health services at SHC free?

Admitted and enrolled students at UNLV who have paid the health fee are eligible to see any of the physicians, nurse practitioners, specialty providers, and registered nurses at the SHC for no charge.

What is the student health fee?

The student health fee is charged each semester to all admitted students at UNLV. The mental health fee is charged to all students enrolled in 6 or more credits. Both fees support the services offered by Student Wellness.

I do not have the Student Health Insurance (SHI). Can I still be seen at SHC?

All currently registered and enrolled UNLV students can be seen at SHC, regardless of insurance coverage, after paying the semester health fee. There are fees for some services.

What if I have questions about fees, insurance, or payments?

Please visit our Fees, Insurance, and Payments page for more information.

I am a spouse of a student/staff/faculty. Can I be seen at the Student Health Center?

SHC is for the exclusive use of registered and enrolled UNLV students. Spouses of students are not eligible to receive services.

The Faculty and Staff Treatment (FAST) Center is open to spouses and dependents of all UNLV faculty and staff members (ages 5 years and older).

How do I make an appointment at SHC?

For your convenience, primary care patient visits are scheduled on a same-day appointment basis. Appointments can be made online using the WellnessView Portal. If there are no same-day appointments available and you require immediate attention, please call and ask to speak to a registered nurse or go to the nearest urgent care facility. In the event of an emergency, please call 9-1-1. Please visit the Appointments/Hours page for additional information.

Specialty clinics and laboratory services require advanced prescheduled appointments. Contact the appointment desk at 702-895-3370 for details. Clinic services offered by advanced prescheduled appointments include:

  • Specialty GYN (colposcopy, cryotherapy)
  • Sports Medicine
  • Nutrition Counseling

How do I cancel an appointment?

If you are unable to keep a scheduled appointment, please cancel by calling 702-895-3370. Failure to cancel an appointment will result in a missed appointment charge.

Can I choose my health care provider?

Yes. You may specify which provider you would like to see when scheduling an appointment. If you have an ongoing health problem, it is usually preferable for you to stay with the same provider as much as possible, as they will already be familiar with you, and can best ensure a consistent medical plan.

What if I need to see a specialist aside from those at the SHC?

Most of the common medical conditions can be managed by a primary care provider at SHC or by one of our specialists. However, if indicated, SHC providers can give you a referral to see other specialists within the local community. If you are enrolled in SHI, you must have a referral by SHC in order to maximize the coverage by your insurance. If you have private insurance, check your plan as some will require a referral by your private primary care provider.

Is the Student Health Center (SHC) accredited?

The UNLV Student Health Center is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). Accreditation shows that the UNLV Student Health Center has met rigorous nationally recognized standards for the provision of quality health care set by the AAAHC and is a reflection of our commitment to providing the highest levels of quality care to our students, to maintaining a safe work environment, and to performing at the highest level of conduct in our business practices.

Accreditation Logo

The AAAHC is the leader in ambulatory health care accreditation with approximately 5,000 organizations accredited nationwide. AAAHC accreditation is recognized as a symbol of quality.


Will details of my medical care be kept absolutely confidential?

The Student Health Center recognizes the right of privacy of each individual. The SHC securely holds all protected health information (PHI) and upholds the strictest interpretation of all laws regulating the unauthorized disclosure of any and all protected information maintained, except as regulated by Federal and Nevada law.

Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996, all persons presenting for medical care at the Student Health Center will be asked to sign a statement indicating their consent for treatment and acknowledging receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices. Information from a student’s medical records can only be shared with a third party if the student submits an Authorization for Release of Medical Information. For more information regarding the privacy of your protected health information.

I notice that there are student workers in the clinic. Will they read my chart and know about my medical condition?

Medical records are strictly confidential. Student workers are not allowed to open or read any medical charts.

Immunizations and TB Testing

I can’t find my old immunization records. What can I do?

You can try to obtain a copy of your immunization record from your high school or your health care provider’s office.

If you received any vaccinations in the state of Nevada, you may be able to locate immunization information on the State of Nevada online immunization tracking website, WebIZ.

If not obtainable, you may need to start the adult series of the vaccination over or elect to be tested for immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella by a simple blood test. You can ask to speak to a Student Health Center registered nurse to discuss your questions, needs, and options.

What are the required and recommended immunizations for college students?

Required: Nevada requires that all students who attend courses on campus provide documentation of certain immunizations unless excused by religious belief or medical condition. Please refer to the Immunizations page for more information.

Recommended: Students are strongly encouraged to be immunized against the major vaccine-preventable diseases that can disrupt their studies and may pose more serious complications. Basic recommended immunizations include:

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): most often given as a combined series called MMR. The recommendation is a series of 2 shots.
  • Tetanus: The World Health Organization recommends a tetanus booster every 10 years. However, if it has been more than 5 years and a student has an injury that could pose tetanus risk, they will be encouraged to have another at that time.
  • Pertussis: Pertussis, also known as Whooping Cough, is a highly contagious respiratory tract infection. It is recommended that adults get a one-time booster with the Tdap vaccine. This is especially important for those in contact with infants younger than 12 months of age. This booster also includes tetanus and diphtheria vaccines
  • Polio: completion of the childhood series.
  • Chickenpox (Varivax)
  • Neisseria Meningitidis (meningitis) vaccination: Meningitis is a dangerous inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord.
  • Hepatitis B:  (Engerix- a three dose vaccine) (Heplisav- a two dose vaccine) or a 2 or 3 series vaccine, dependent on manufacturer, is recommended for everyone.
  • HPV: Gardasil, the vaccine for human papilloma virus (HPV) is available at the SHC. It is a series of three vaccines given over a six-month period, and protects against the most common forms of HPV which can cause cervical cancer and genital warts. It is recommended for females ages 9-45 years of age and is also approved for use in men. Please ask a nurse for the current price. There are discount programs available through the manufacturer, and a nurse will be able to determine if a student qualifies for a reduced price.
  • Influenza (Flu): 1 shot yearly. It is especially recommended for those with higher-risk health conditions such as chronic respiratory disease (such as asthma), diabetes, or chronic heart, kidney, or immune system disease. The flu vaccine is offered free to UNLV students each year.
  • Tuberculin skin test: Not a vaccination, but if never tested, if it has been several years, if you have identifiable risk factors, or if you arriving from a country with increased incidents of TB, you should consider getting a tuberculin skin test to check for exposure to active TB. To be effective, TB treatment needs to begin as early as possible.

Can I get immunizations at SHC?

Yes, the SHC has all basic vaccines available. Please call the Student Health Center to make an appointment or inquire about immunization services.

I need a TB test for school or a job application. Can I get a TB test at SHC?

Yes, a TB (tuberculosis) skin testing (PPD) can be done through a nurse’s visit. Please contact the Student Health Center to speak with a nurse and/or schedule an appointment time.

Sexual Health

Can I be tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) at SHC?

Yes, the SHC tests and treats students for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Cultures can be collected for STIs during a genital examination. Some diseases require urine or blood testing for diagnosis. Medication will be prescribed for any tests that are positive. SHC also provides education for preventing recurrence or partner transmission.

Does SHC do HIV testing? Is it confidential?

Confidential HIV testing is performed at the SHC on a walk-in basis. In addition, students may have confidential testing performed as part of any clinical visit. The SHC offers free HIV testing clinics a few times each semester. Please call for dates.

How can I get a prescription for birth control pills?

You may schedule a same-day appointment with any of our providers to discuss birth control options and request a prescription.

Lab Testing

I have an order from a provider to get lab work done. Does the SHC do lab testing?

Yes, the Student Wellness Center has an accredited on-site laboratory. You will need a written lab order from a provider and your insurance card, if applicable. Orders from health care providers unaffiliated with the Student Wellness Center are welcome. Please call the laboratory to schedule an appointment at 702-895-0280 or visit the laboratory website for more information.

Allergy Injections

I take regular allergy shots. Can I continue to get my allergy shots at SHC?

Yes. For those students who are on a maintenance schedule of injections with an allergy specialist (antigens provided by the patient) arrangements can be made to give those injections by our staff (for a fee) to those who qualify for this service.

If you desire this service please contact a nurse at 702-895-3684 to discuss your case further. There are forms that must be completed by your allergist and you must be on a stable dosage schedule prior to administration of allergy shots at SHC.


What is Student Health Insurance (SHI)?

The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHI) is a comprehensive health plan that provides a full range of medical coverage, including in/out patient services, specialty care, emergency care, hospitalization and mental health care, as well as dental and pharmacy coverage. The plan is available to international students and graduate students taking three or more credit hours. This plan is not to be confused with the student health program fee that all registered students pay for fall, spring, and summer sessions.

The Student Health Insurance provides services beyond those available through the Student Health Center for eligible on and off campus medical services. You may sign up via the web for the Student Health Insurance or by picking up an enrollment packet at the Student Health Center or Bursar's Office prior to the beginning of fall, spring, and summer sessions.

Can I be seen at the SHC if I do not have SHI?

All admitted and enrolled students at UNLV who have paid the student health fees as a part of registration are eligible to see any of the physicians, nurse practitioners, specialty providers, and registered nurses at the SHC for no charge, regardless of insurance. Any fees incurred during the appointment will be discussed at the time of service.

Does the SHC accept private insurance (insurance other than SHI) and bill my insurance directly?

SHC does not bill private insurance (insurance other than SHI).All admitted and enrolled students at UNLV who have paid the health fee are eligible to see any of the physicians, nurse practitioners, specialty providers, and registered nurses at the SHC for no charge, regardless of insurance. Any fees incurred during the appointment will be discussed at the time of service. It is possible the student can bill their private insurance carrier for reimbursement (please contact your insurance carrier for more information).

Can I use my insurance to pay for prescriptions?

Student Health Insurance (SHI): Students enrolled in SHI may use their insurance to purchase prescriptions at the SHC pharmacy. There is $20 co-pay for medications on the insurance formulary. If you purchase your prescription at an outside pharmacy, you will pay 50% of the cost of the medication, and it is subject to your deductible.

Private Insurance:  SHC is unable to bill private insurance plans (insurance other than SHI). Students not enrolled in SHI may purchase medications at the on-site pharmacy and might be able to submit the bill to their own insurance for reimbursement (consult with your insurance carrier for details.) Students not enrolled in SHI may also purchase medications at any community pharmacy.