Rebel Challenge Scholarship
High School GPA
|SAT or ACT Score
(SAT = Critical Reading & Math)
||1130 SAT or 23 ACT
||3.5 - 3.74
||1130 SAT or 23 ACT
||3.25 - 3.49
||1130 SAT or 23 ACT
- Automatic consideration if the requirements are met. Priority consideration is provided to students based upon their date of admission and until scholarship program funds expire. The Rebel Challenge Scholarship is not an entitlement program. Funding is limited to first come, first served.
- No student should assume he or she will be receiving this scholarship until an official award notice has been received from the UNLV Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. Selected students will be notified of an award within their MyUNLV Communication Center.
Initial Award Criteria
Students must have a minimum weighted 3.0 cumulative high school grade point average within required core classes and must also have the following:
- An unweighted 3.25 or higher overall cumulative high school GPA
- An SAT or ACT score within one of the ranges represented on the above graph
- Must be a new nonresident freshman student starting attendance during a fall semester
- Must have never attended another college
- Enroll and complete at least 12 credit hours fall and spring semesters (credit requirement does not apply to the summer terms)
- Live in a UNLV residence hall* the freshmen year
*Students must have applied for traditional residence hall housing as defined by the Association of College and University Housing Officers for one of the following owned and operated UNLV residence halls:
- Dayton Community
- Tonopah Community
- South Complex
- Upper Class Complex
Students are provided consumer information about their scholarship and are expected to understand the terms and conditions of this scholarship. Students who do not meet the renewable conditions will not have their scholarship reinstated.
- Must reside in a UNLV residence hall during the freshman year
- Must enroll and complete 12 credit hours each semester (excluding summer)
- Must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Must be meeting the financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy
- May receive this scholarship up to 130 credit hours or 8 semesters (whichever comes first) of continuous enrollment during fall and spring semesters
- Must maintain nonresident student status
- New freshmen students starting attendance during a spring or summer semester are not eligible for this program. You must start UNLV attendance during the fall semester this scholarship was offered to you.
- Students who drop below 12 credit hours during the first week of classes forfeit their award for the semester and are immediately placed on scholarship probation for the next continuous term of enrollment. If a student was previously on scholarship probation, this scholarship is then forfeited.
- Students who graduated high school from a Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) state are not eligible for this program.
- Students enrolled at Fort Valley State College in the State of Georgia participating in a 3+2 math and engineering program at UNLV already pay in-state tuition rates and are not eligible for this program.
- Students serving within the Nevada National Guard already pay in-state tuition rates and are not eligible for this program.
- Graduate and professional students are not eligible for this program.
- This scholarship specifically helps pay for nonresident tuition charges. A student will forfeit their award and may be required to pay back previously disbursed amounts of this scholarship for the semester to UNLV if he or she becomes a Nevada resident.
- A student who does not live in the residence hall during their freshman year permanently forfeits scholarship eligibility. If a waiver is submitted by the student to the Housing Office petitioning to live off campus is approved, scholarship eligibility for this program is still forfeited.
- A student who is offered this scholarship during a fall semester, elects to not attend UNLV, but now wants to start attending spring semester forfeits this scholarship.
- Students who elect to graduate with more than one major (double, triple major) will likely run out of scholarship eligibility. This scholarship program is designed to achieve only one major. You cannot appeal to extend your eligibility.
- Students who have earned AP credits/college credits while in high school should be advised that these credits will apply toward the 130 maximum credit limit. Please consult your Academic Advisor to review your program’s required courses and see how these credits may apply.
- Students taking summer courses should be advised that these credits also apply toward the 130 maximum credit limit.
- College classes and AP classes taken while attending high school will not exempt a student from the first-year residence hall requirement.
- This award is non-refundable to the student. The Rebel Challenge Scholarship only applies towards nonresident tuition charges. No cash refunds or excess cash balances can be paid from this program.
- If another scholarship or grant specifically pays for a portion or all of a student’s nonresident tuition, the Rebel Challenge Scholarship may be reduced or cancelled.
- Students who do not meet the minimum academic requirements are placed on scholarship probation and notified of their status via MyUNLV. Students may receive this scholarship for one more semester of concurrent enrollment. If the minimum academic requirements are not met again, the scholarship is forfeited. There is no appeal process. The prior scholarship probation status has acted as an appeal process for students to self-correct their academic performance.
- This scholarship is determined based upon your academic record at the time of admission. Additional documentation (test score/GPA) which may increase your scholarship eligibility to a higher tier, after your time of admission, will not be considered because of funding limitations.
UNLV reserves the right to discontinue or make adjustments to this scholarship program at any time. In the unlikely event this scholarship program would be discontinued, students currently receiving a Rebel Challenge Scholarship would be provided two semesters of advance notice.