The College of Engineering at UNLV offers Master's and Ph.D. degrees in:

  • Aerospace Engineering (M.S. only)
  • Biomedical Engineering (M.S. only)
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering (M.S.E and Ph.D.)
  • Computer Science (M.S. and Ph.D.)
  • Construction Management (M.S.C.M only)
  • Mechanical Engineering (M.S.E and Ph.D.)
  • Electrical Engineering (M.S. and Ph.D.)
  • Material and Nuclear Engineering (M.S. only)
  • Transportation (M.S.T. only)

Note: This information is subject to change. Please verify your degree of interest on UNLV’s Degrees Directory.

Students with outstanding performance during their bachelor's program can be admitted directly into the Ph.D. program without a master's degree. Application requirements:

  • Must hold a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree
  • Grade Point Average – a minimum grade point average of 3.0 or 3.3 - 3.5 for Ph.D
  • Additional Requirements – GRE test score
  • Letters of Recommendation (2 for master’s and 3 for Ph.D)
  • Proof of English Proficiency – TOEFL Score (min. 550 paper-based or 213 computer-based or 80 internet-based), MTELP (min. 85), IELTS-Academic (min. 7), PTE Academic (min. 65). If the teaching medium in your university is English, proof of English proficiency can be waived. However, you will need to provide official proof from an administrator at the university stating that.
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Transcripts – from each postsecondary institution attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and grades received.
  • All documents should be translated to English.
  • International students are admitted to the USA on F-1 or J-1 visa.
Three male students working on a robot

Contact Information


Jaekeun Cho

Director of Engineering International Programs
Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-4005
Phone: 702-895-3673
Email: jaekeun.cho@unlv.edu


Students who already have a bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science or related areas interested in pursuing a Ph.D. or master's degree.

How to Apply

The application process is done online at the Graduate College website. The College of Engineering International Exchange Program Coordinator assists students during the application process. See frequently asked questions for specific criteria and how to apply.

Deadlines for Submitting Application Materials

  • Mechanical Engineering’s deadline - May 1 for Fall and October 1 for Spring
  • Civil Engineering’s deadline - March 15 for Fall and August 30 for Spring
  • Construction Management’s deadline - March 15 for Fall and August 30 for Spring
  • Electrical Engineering’s deadline - May 1 for Fall and October 1 for Spring
  • Computer Science’s deadline - February 1 for Fall and October 1 for Spring
  • Transportation’s deadline - March 15 for Fall and August 30 for Spring

FAQ for PH.D. and Master Students

1. What are the requirements for admission and how to apply?

To apply for a master's degree you need to have a bachelor's degree; For the Ph.D. you need to have a master's degree. Some departments also admit students with a bachelor's and very high GPAs directly into the Ph.D. program. For detailed information about admission requirements for each department in the College of Engineering, please visit the website.

For admissions, apply on the Graduate College Website. Pay an application fee and start the application online.

Once you apply, email the College of Engineering coordinator and let her know you have applied at jaekeun.cho@unlv.edu. She will help you follow up with graduate admissions.

2. What is the cost of tuition per year for international students?

International graduate students are required to be full-time while studying in the U.S. and are required to take a full load of courses, which at UNLV is a minimum of 9 credits a semester.

You can estimate your tuition cost. Choose graduate student, the semester of enrollment, and the number of credits (must be at least 9 credits).

Once admitted, you must provide a financial certification with funds sufficient to cover your tuition and living expenses.

3. What is the cost of living at the UNLV campus?

Graduate students can live on campus or off campus.

4. Do I need proof of English proficiency to participate in the program?

International students must provide proof of English proficiency. Various test types are accepted including TOEFL, iBT, IELTS, Michigan. Students from several English-speaking countries are exempt.

5. When does the Spring semester start?

Classes start in January.

6. When does the Fall semester start?

Classes start in August.

7. Are there assistantships for graduate students?

Yes, on a competitive basis. Students with very high GPA, TOEFL, and GRE scores can be awarded assistantships. If you are interested in assistantships, apply online when you apply for admission.