About the Program
Offered through UNLV’s College of Education, the Paraprofessional Pathways Project (PPP) helps education support staff (i.e., paraprofessionals) pursue teaching licenses in Nevada. During its pilot year, the project is generously supported by UNLV and the Clark County School District to cultivate the next generation of high-quality, diverse educators for Southern Nevada.
The program is available to individuals who:
- Have earned an associate’s degree or 60 credits of equivalent coursework
- Are currently employed as a paraprofessional or other education support staff (e.g., classroom aide, tutor) in a Nevada public school
Once admitted, students can pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in:
PPP courses required for intended licensure will be offered outside educators’ contracted work schedules, in some cases using 4-, 8-, and 16-week courses. Class types (e.g., live in-person, live online, hybrid, all online) also will vary. Students who have met the general university core requirements and prerequisites may complete their program in as little as four semesters.
Student Teaching Credit
We will work with admitted PPP students to maintain their current employment by coordinating practicum and student teaching experiences on their school campuses in coordination with school leaders.
How to Apply
Applications for the Spring 2022 cohort are open. Interested applicants must complete their application by 5 p.m. (PDT) on Friday, Nov. 5. Before starting your application, please ensure you:
- Have not completed a bachelor's degree
- Have a cumulative GPA in your past college coursework of at least 2.5
- Do not owe money to colleges or universities you have previously attended
- Are available to interview during the week of November 15
- Are available to attend the in-person on online orienation on Tuesday, Nov. 23
Also, please ensure you have the following documentation ready to be uploaded into the application:
Evidence that you have earned an associates degree (e.g., PDFs of unofficial/official transcripts, copy of diploma)
Up-to-date immunization records showing you have all required immunization
The college will review responses by Friday, Nov. 12 and eligible applicants will be contacted to interview November 15-19. Selected candidates will then be invited to apply for admission UNLV, which must be completed by Tuesday, Nov. 30. NEwly admitted students will begin classes on Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022.
Please contact Ms. Adjoa Mensah, PPP Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.