Master of Science in Computer Science
Graduate degree programs in the Department of Computer Science provide students the opportunity to study different subject areas of computing science, conduct research in specialized areas, and make original contributions to the field.
Our graduate programs, leading to MS and PhD degrees, are designed to pursue research at the frontiers of computer science and application areas. The graduate program is supported by faculty who are actively participating in research and development in specialized areas such as algorithm analysis, database systems, document image processing, scheduling, computational geometry, computer security, parallel programming, programming languages, and multi-media. Four in-house computer laboratories support teaching and research activities.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Acquires in-depth knowledge of specialized areas and advanced topics in computer science.
- Independently analyze, design, and implement an innovative computer application or research project.
- Prepare a final project or research report on the solution to a computer-related problem.
- Present the results of their research orally.
Our master's program gives you the opportunity to study different areas, including:
- Design and analysis of algorithms.
- Operating and distributed systems.
- Computer architecture and networking.
- Computational geometry and robotics.
- Computer graphics and image processing.
- Programming languages and compiler construction.
- Artificial intelligence and expert systems.
- Database design, document analysis, and retrieval.
- Software engineering.
Some of the jobs obtained by computer science graduate students are as follow:
- Scientific programmer
- System programmer
- Computer control programmer
- Interface programmer/designer
- Client/server software developer
- Computer graphics specialist
- Software publishing
- Software engineer
- Quality assurance engineer
- Telecommunications planner
- Artificial Intelligence
- Database designer/administrator
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.