The Beverly Rogers, Carol C. Harter Black Mountain Institute (BMI) at UNLV is pleased to announce its fall calendar of community events with both acclaimed and up-and-coming authors. These public events, beginning Sept. 14, highlight the writers’ diversity of thought and influential voices.
"We're thrilled to share so many exciting voices with Las Vegas from both established and emerging writers,” says Charlotte Wyatt, associate director of programs at Black Mountain Institute. “We're proud that each event highlights how literature can engage with pressing questions around community, environmental justice, and human rights."
BMI’s public events consist of mainstage events, readings by BMI fellows, the Breakout Writers Series, and collaborations with community partners on and off campus. BMI also hosts the City of Asylum fellowship program, which brings persecuted writers to Las Vegas where they can live and work freely.
The fall event calendar includes:
- Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023 | An Evening with Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
- Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023 | Edgar Gomez (Shearing Fellow): A Reading
- Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023 | “Lakota vs. United States” Film Screening with Layli Long Soldier at The Beverly Theater
- Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2023 | Morgan Thomas (Shearing Fellow): A Reading
- Thursday, Oct. 19, 2023 | Breakout Writers Series: Tyriek White
- Thursday, Nov. 16, 2023 | University Forum Lecture: Kim Foster
Recurring events include:
- Sept. 13, Oct. 24, and Dec. 6, 2023 | Latinx Book Club at The Writer’s Block hosted by Edgar Gomez
- September-October (Dates TBA) | Collaborative Exhibition with the Rita Deanin Abbey Museum
For events, times, and locations, please visit the Black Mountain Institute website. Additional programs and events may be announced through the semester.
Unless otherwise noted, these events take place on UNLV’s campus and are free and open to the public.
About Black Mountain Institute
Black Mountain Institute at UNLV champions writers and storytellers through programs, fellowships, and community engagement. From the brightest spot on the planet, BMI amplifies writing and artistic expression to connect us to each other in the Las Vegas Valley, the Southwest, and beyond. For more information, visit the BMI website.