You are here
Paul Taylor, with UNLV Latin Jazz Ensemble, Performs Nov. 7
The UNLV Performing Arts Center welcomes home UNLV alumnus and contemporary urban jazz saxophonist Paul Taylor, with special guest the UNLV Latin Jazz Ensemble, at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 7, as part of its Performing Arts Center Series.
From the start of his recording career, Taylor has created his deeply soulful and rhythmic trip-hop influenced sound by working with some of urban jazz and R&B's top producers, including Rex Rideout, Barry J. Eastmond and The Heavyweights. But one of the most important architects of the saxman's core flow has been Dino Esposito, who helped Taylor establish his vibe with On The Horn and Pleasure Seeker (1997), and has played a powerful role in the saxophonist's evolution by helming tracks on his subsequent recordings Undercover (2000), his Peak Records debut Hypnotic (2001), Nightlife (2005) and Prime Time (2011).
His new album, Tenacity,marks the first time Taylor has recorded an entire project with a single producer - and his longtime friendship and incredible chemistry with Esposito made him the perfect choice for the varied rhythms and progressive sonics that the saxophonist wanted. "I've always had this special bond with Dino, and it was really exciting to focus on doing an entire project with my great friend, rather than just a few tracks here and there like in the past," says Taylor.
Tickets to Paul Taylor are $25, $40, $55, and $75 and can be purchased at the Performing Arts Center Box Office at 895-ARTS (2787) or by visiting pac.unlv.edu. Student rush tickets are $10 each (not inclusive of the facilities fee), and available one hour prior to each event, based on availability and with valid student I.D. UNLV faculty and staff discounts also are available.
A $1.25 facilities fee, in addition to the ticket price, is charged on all Performing Arts Center tickets. The box office is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Information about all of the season's performances can be found on the Performing Arts Center website.
For information on purchasing a season subscription, please call 895-ARTS (2787) or visit pac.unlv.edu.
UNLV PAC FACTS:
- Arts organizations, like the Desert Chorale, Las Vegas Master Singers, and Southern Nevada Musical Arts Society, have longstanding traditions here.
- With productions by the College of Fine Arts, including productions presented by the Nevada Conservatory Theatre and the dance and music departments, Southern Nevadans can enjoy the arts nearly every day of the year.
- The PAC continues to be good community citizens:
- hosting more than 50,000 Clark County School District students yearly for productions, concerts, and festivals;
- donating over $100,000 in production costs to the CCSD Fine Arts division to give students a quality performance experience at limited expense;
- granting fellow not-for-profit organizations major discounts on facility rental fees.
Founded in 1976, the Performing Arts Center at UNLV is Southern Nevada's original performing arts venue. Located on the north end of the UNLV campus, the PAC hosts a variety of performances and is home to the Charles Vanda Master Series.
Share your thoughts about this story. To comment, you'll need to login into your Facebook account. Your comment will post immediately. Comments that are not in keeping with our comment policies may be removed by editors.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
"From the News Center" highlights the top news of the week.