Students interested in applied for the Master of Music in Choral Conducting program should completed the following steps, in this order:
- If an inquiry into the program has not already been made by the applicant, please contact Dr. Joseph Svendsen by email or phone to communicate an interest in applying for the program.
- Apply for admission to the UNLV Graduate College
- Submit the following materials:
- A resume or curriculum vitae of related conducting experience
- A transcript that demonstrates successful completion of an undergraduate degree
- Two recommendation letters:
- One from someone who can speak to the quality of recent musical endeavors and to your musical aptitude as a conductor/performer
- One from someone who can vouch for your academic abilities and curiosity in music and/or all subjects of scholarly inquiry
- One additional reference who can speak to your character as a colleague, learner, teacher, and mentor
- Two videos:
- 20 minutes of unedited, recent rehearsal footage (within the past 6 months), with the conductor facing the camera
- 5-10 minutes of unedited concert footage (within the past 12 months), with the conductor facing the camera
Students who are selected in the preliminary application process will be invited to provide further materials, either remotely or via an in-person, on-campus interview and audition process. The on-campus interview and audition includes rehearsals with the university’s choral ensembles on repertoire decided in advance, interviews with the faculty and current graduate students, and assessments of gesture and other musical skills (voice, keyboard, other instruments) and understandings (score knowledge, theoretical understanding, vocal pedagogy, etc.).