Under the program, if you and/or your family member(s) enroll in undergraduate or graduate courses at any of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) schools, the university will pay a portion of your tuition for state-supported, summer session, and community college courses.


  • Administrative and Academic Faculty employed at lest 50% FTE or greater;
    • Spouse or registered domestic partner; 
    • Financially dependent child(ren) under the age of 24;
      • For qualified, dependent child(ren) who have served on active duty in the USAF, the age limitation will be extended for the period of such active service, but not to exceed 6 years;
    • Widows or widowers and financially dependent child(ren) of deceased Administrative or Academic Faculty;
  • Academic Faculty who are on sabbatical or leave of absence without pay; 
  • Emeritus Administrative or Academic Faculty;
  • Adjunct and Clinical Faculty;
  • Retired Administrative and Academic Faculty who are 55 or over at the time of retirement and have at least 20 years of NSHE service;

Not Eligible:

  • Non-credit courses, workshops, seminars, and conferences.
  • Courses that are NOT supported by state funds. This includes remedial courses (ie. Math 95, Eng 95, etc) at UNLV and NSC. Remedial courses taken at CSN are considered state supported and are paid by the GIA benefit.
  • Study Abroad courses are no longer eligible for the Grant-In-Aid benefit as of spring 2020 because they are not state supported.

The provisions for GIA for professionals can be found in the Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3.

Course Credit Limits

Below are the maximum credit hours you and your dependents may take under the program. It is your responsibility to pay for credit hours over the maximum amount allowed.

  Fall Spring Summer I Summer II Summer III
Academic Faculty 6 6 No Limit No Limit No Limit
Administrative Faculty 6 6   3  
Dependents No Limit No Limit No Limit No Limit No Limit

Payment Amounts for Undergraduate and Graduate Course Work

Below is the current amount of aid to be paid for undergraduate and graduate course work at NSHE system institutions.

Institution Undergraduate Course Work Graduate Course Work
UNLV $173.60 per credit $222.90 per credit
College of Southern Nevada $86.65 per credit (lower-level courses)
$123.25 per credit (upper-level courses)
Nevada State College $132.28 per credit $178.37 per credit
Truckee Meadows Community College $81.20 per credit 129.50 per credit
University of Nevada, Reno $176.65 per credit $222.94 per credit

Note: The grant-in-aid program does not pay 100 percent tuition, student fees, or late fees. A list of student fees can be found on the UNLV cashiering’s office website.

Payment Amounts for Dental, Law, and Medical Schools

Below is the current amount of aid to be paid for course work in dental, law, or medical programs at NSHE system institutions.

  • UNLV School of Dental Medicine
    $12,463.00 per semester
  • UNLV Boyd School of Law
    $522.20 per credit (not to exceed $7,311.00)
  • Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV
    A flat amount equal to 16 graduate credits every medical school semester.

Apply for Grant-in-Aid

Follow these steps to apply for grant-in-aid.

  1. Register for your classes.
  2. Complete the grant-in-aid application form.
  3. Submit form to your supervisor for signature.
    Note: Your supervisor’s signature is not necessary for your dependent’s application form.
  4. Fax completed grant-in-aid form to UNLV office of Human Resources at 702-895-1545.

Tax Implications

Grant-in-aid paid to faculty for undergraduate courses is not considered taxable income.

Grant-in-aid paid to faculty in excess of $5,250 for graduate courses, for the calendar year, is considered taxable income.

Grant-in-aid paid to dependents and spouses/domestic partners of faculty for undergraduate courses is not considered taxable income. Dependent and spouse/domestic partner grant-in-aid for graduate level courses, including dental school and law school courses, for the calendar year, is considered taxable income to the employee.

Taxes are reported twice a year. For additional information, please consult your tax advisor.