Non-degree-seeking status is designed for individuals with a bachelor's degree who wish to enroll in selected graduate-level courses without being admitted to a graduate degree/certificate program.

Become A Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Student

  • Online Application – Submit an online application to become a non-degree-seeking student. You must either upload a copy of your transcript or diploma directly into the application, or fax, email, or mail it to the Graduate College. You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been processed. Note: If you have a bachelor’s degree and wish to take only undergraduate-level coursework as a non-degree-seeking student, please complete the undergraduate non-degree-seeking application.
  • Nevada Residency Status – All non-degree-seeking students are considered non-Nevada residents for tuition purposes until your residency application has been submitted and approved. It can take from 3-6 weeks for residency applications to be fully reviewed.
  • Register for Classes – Some, but not all, graduate courses are open to non-degree students. Please check with the department offering the course for further information.
  • Information for New Students – Use this helpful checklist to prepare for your first day of class, but please note that as a non-degree-seeking graduate student some of these opportunities (like Graduate Assistantships) may not be available to you.

Minimum Requirements: A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year institution or the equivalent.

Timeline: Non-degree-seeking applications have a processing time of at least 3 business days. Due to the availability of modular courses, we process non-degree-seeking applications year-round. Please plan accordingly if you are taking modular courses to ensure you are not assessed late fees.

Fee: There is a non-refundable $30 processing fee for non-degree-seeking applications.

Graduate Non-Degree-Seeking Status

Becoming a non-degree-seeking graduate student does not guarantee future admission to a graduate program. If you are accepted into a graduate degree/certificate program in the future, a maximum of 15 credits of non-degree graduate courses may be transferred into your degree program with the approval of your degree program and the Graduate College dean. All of these transfer credits are subject to Graduate College academic policies and procedures as well as the approval of your degree program graduate coordinator.

Graduate non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for an I-20/student visa, a graduate assistantship, or federal financial aid. If you are currently on a visa, please be aware that only certain visa types allow an individual to pursue part-time or non-degree-seeking coursework; consequences of doing so may result in failure to maintain visa status.