The Master of Public Health & Doctorate in Dental Medicine track allows students in the UNLV School of Dental Medicine to gain a deeper understanding of disease prevention, medical delivery, and health promotion at an individual and population level within the field of dentistry.

Group of students looking at a laptop

Program Overview

The program enables graduates to become leaders in oral health research, education, and community dental health promotion. After completing the dual program, graduates will be eligible to apply for a position within a dental public health residency program.


Current dental students interested in the dual-degree program are encouraged to submit an application for permission to enter the program to the UNLV School of Dental Medicine Assistant Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs. This request form must accompany the Graduate College application for admissions into the MPH program.

Completed packets will be submitted to the Graduate College for admissions to the Master of Public Health program.



To be considered for admission to the MPH, an applicant must meet Graduate College standards and:

  • Hold a bachelor’s degree or recognized equivalent from a regionally accredited institution and have adequate preparation in the biological, physical, or social sciences. A criterion for admission is at least a B (3.0) grade point average or the equivalent in work completed after the first two years of a bachelor’s degree program and in all post-baccalaureate course work.
  • Complete the school’s application process.
  • Submit a personal essay describing what the applicant perceives to be pressing public health issues, why a career in the field appeals to the applicant, and how it will use the applicant's strengths and commitment.
  • Submit three letters of recommendation.
  • Submit GRE test score. Students must request to have their scores sent electronically from ETS to UNLV. Students must use our institution code 4861.

A satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for applicants whose first language is not English.

Official copies of all transcripts sent to the Graduate College, and unofficial copies sent to the School of Public Health.

State Dental Boards

The American Dental Association provided a link to Dental Boards that contains specific information about licensure in each state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.