Where is the Greenspun Student Advising Center located?

The Greenspun Student Advising Center is located on the 4th floor of Greenspun Hall (GUA- between the Student Union and In-N-Out Burger).

How can I talk to an academic advisor?

You can schedule an appointment to speak with an advisor by calling our office at 702-895-1009 during our office hours at 8 A.M. - 5 P.M. on Monday - Friday. Please contact the office to determine available walk-in advising times. Our advising center typically has a large volume of students during registration periods; thus, the conditions accepted for walk-ins are subject to change. If you have never met with an Urban Affairs Academic Advisor or need to do a Graduation Check (we will not finalize your last semester of courses if you plan to graduate within the semester or next semester that you are trying to do a walk-in advising appointment for), then you will need to set up an advising appointment.

I am a transfer student thinking about coming to UNLV. Can I make an appointment with an advisor to find out how my credits will transfer?

If you have already applied and been accepted to UNLV, and you have sent in all transcripts from other schools, you may schedule an appointment with one of our advisors at your earliest convenience to determine what you need in order to graduate.

Prospective transfer students are encouraged to visit Transferology.com to start exploring how credits earned at another school will transfer to UNLV. The advising center staff can discuss our degree program options, but we are unable to officially evaluate non-Nevada (NSHE) credits.


How do I register for classes?

View this Student Registration Tutorial for a demonstration on how to register.

How many credits should I register for each semester?

In order to graduate in 4 years, we recommend a student take 15 credits a semester/30 credits a school year. This may also be accomplished by completing 12 credits every semester and 6 credits during the summer.

To effectively plan your credit load for each semester, ask yourself the following questions:

  • Will I be working? Part-time? Full-time?
  • Am I a Millennium scholar?
  • Am I receiving financial aid or scholarship funds?
  • Will I be involved in social activities?
  • How demanding are my family responsibilities?

If you are receiving scholarship funds or financial aid, you are required to take a minimum of 12 credits unless otherwise specified by the terms of your aid or scholarship. Please note that it is recommended that if you are working:

  • Full-time (40 hours per week) – only 6 credits per semester are advised.
  • Part-time (30 hours per week) – only 9 credits per semester are advised.
  • Part-time (20 hours per week) – only 12-15 credits per semester are advised.
What are the General Education Core requirements?

General Education is a set of requirements that introduce students to the university's academic community and expectations. All UNLV students must complete the General Education requirements to earn an undergraduate degree.

What are GSC 100 and GSC 300?

GSC 100 and GSC 300 are the Urban Affairs First Year and Second Year Seminar courses. GSC 100 focuses on college success skills, while GSC 300 focuses on civic engagement and grassroots movements. Please note that GSC 300 is required for ALL Urban Affairs students, even those who transfer in with an Associate's degree.

How can I get an internship/get credit for an internship?

Every major within Urban Affairs has an internship course where students can earn academic credit for an internship. To find an internship to apply for, review internship postings on Handshake or other job search websites. To enroll in an internship course, please contact your major's internship coordinator or visit your department’s website for information on how to enroll.

What is independent study?

Independent study is an opportunity to earn academic credit doing in-depth research on a topic of interest with a faculty member. Enrollment in independent study must be coordinated with your department and partnering faculty member.

What are minors and dual majors?

Minors and dual majors/dual degrees are ways for you to compliment your primary degree with a second field of study. Minors typically consist of 6 – 8 classes in a subject, while dual majors/dual degrees require you to complete all of the major requirements for that subject. For more information, please discuss with an academic advisor.

How many credits do I need in order to graduate?

The minimum number of credits required for a Bachelor’s degree is 120. Students who are planning to graduate in four years should plan to take 30 credits per year (15 credits Fall/Spring or 12 credits Fall/Spring plus 6 credits Summer). You may need to take more credits for your degree depending on your major(s) and minor(s). If you are unsure how many credits you need, please schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

When do I apply for graduation?

When you have completed 90 credits and are two semesters away from graduation, you should apply for graduation online through MyUNLV. If you wait until the last semester, you may discover that you have missed a requirement and that graduation has to be delayed. Be aware that deadlines for filing are listed on the graduation website.

Prior to applying for graduation, students are highly encouraged to schedule an advising appointment to ensure that everything is on track. After applying, you will be required to schedule a final graduation approval advising appointment.

How can I get tutoring?

UNLV offers tutoring for almost every subject taught on campus. Some options are free of charge, and others have a small fee. Contact the individual tutoring office for more information.

What kinds of clubs/organizations are there that I can join?

UNLV has a wide array of student organizations, from major-specific honor societies to hobby clubs. For more information about student organizations at UNLV, please visit the Involvement Center link in your MyUNLV account.