I never attended class. Will I be dropped automatically?

It is the responsibility of the student to officially drop any class(es) he or she is not attending. You can drop the course using online registration. If you are doing a total withdrawal, you must fill out a withdrawal form with the Office of the Registrar. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.

If I drop a course, will I get a refund?

You may depending upon the circumstance:

  • Dropping Individual Courses
    You may receive a 100% refund if courses are dropped by the end of the fifth day of classes. No refund will be issued for courses that are dropped after this deadline.
  • Total Withdrawal
    You may receive a 50% refund of resident and nonresident fees for total withdrawal of all courses by Friday of the sixth week of instruction. All official withdrawals must be made through the Office of the Registrar.
  • If You Received Financial Aid…
    If you drop courses during the refund period, you will receive a refund if you did NOT receive financial aid. Refunds are applied first to any financial aid source the student received. After the financial aid portion is adjusted, a refund check will be issued IF the student paid for the course.
What happens if I drop a class during the add/drop period and I've already received a refund check?

If your aid has disbursed and a refund check is pending, your refund check will be pulled and your aid may be reduced if your status changed to below the minimum enrollment status you reported during award activation.

If you received a refund check at the beginning of the semester and your enrollment status as of the end of the add/drop period has now changed, you will be considered deficient credits per the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. This policy states that if you receive financial aid for the academic year, which includes both the fall and spring semesters, you must complete the minimum number of credits for which your aid was paid.

Undergraduate Credits Required

  • Full-time (12+ credits per semester) = 24 per year
  • Three-quarter-time (9-11 credits per semester) = 18 per year
  • Half-time (6-8 credits per semester) = 12 per year

Graduate Credits Required

  • Full-time (9+ credits per semester) = 18 per year
  • Half-time (5-8 credits per semester) = 10 per year

If you receive a failing grade, incomplete, audit, or withdrawal from a class, these credits cannot be counted toward your credit requirements. Further, undergraduates are required to maintain a 2.00 cumulative UNLV GPA and graduate students are required to maintain a 3.00 cumulative UNLV GPA.

If you fail to meet the SAP standards during the fall or spring semester, you will be notified by letter of your SAP standing and of alternatives and requirements to meet standards by the end of the summer semester. You will be placed on financial aid probation and will have the summer term to raise your overall GPA and/or complete the required deficient credits. If you do not remove the deficiencies by the end of the summer term, you will be placed on financial aid suspension and will be ineligible for any further assistance until the deficiencies are cleared. Please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for further details.

When are refund checks mailed? Can I come in and pick mine up?

Refund checks are mailed once a week. Refund checks may not be picked up under any circumstances. There is a very short window of time to have the checks signed and taken to the post office for mailing. Trying to pull one check for pickup can put all the refunds in jeopardy of getting mailed that day. Therefore, we will not accept any requests for refund pickups.

How do I make a total withdrawal from UNLV?

Official withdrawal must be made through the Office of the Registrar. A stop payment placed on a check does not constitute withdrawal from the university and the student will be responsible for fees resulting from the stop payment. Do not listen to any department that says to stop payment on your check instead of waiting for a refund. We refund a minimum of weekly, so you will receive a refund before the university even receives a returned stop payment check. If you have any questions please call the Cashier's Office at 702-895-3683, option #1.

What will happen to my financial aid if I withdraw from UNLV?

If you completely withdraw during any semester at UNLV, you will be subject to the Federal Return of Title IV Funds Policy as conducted by Financial Aid & Scholarships. Federal law requires the amount of student financial assistance you have earned up to the point of withdrawal be determined by a specific calculation. The amount of assistance you have earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if you completed 30 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earned 30 percent of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. You are responsible for any assistance awarded to you for which you do not qualify or earn. You will be notified of the overpayment that you may have to repay in a timely manner. You will be ineligible for future federal and state financial assistance at UNLV or other institutions until you repay the amount due.

Please realize that even if you repay the overpayment amount, you are subject to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.