The Office of Community Engagement has announced the recipients of UNLV’s 2022 Community Engagement Awards:
- Deirdre Clemente, College of Liberal Arts, who received the Service-Learning Award for her service-learning class, History 750: Methods of Public History, in partnership with Friends of Walking Box Ranch
- Edwin Oh, School of Medicine, who received the Community-Based Research Award for his UNLV Wastewater Surveillance Program in partnership with the Southern Nevada Water Authority, Southern Nevada Health District, and Clark County School District
- Laura Kruskall, School of Integrated Health Sciences, who received the Faculty/Staff Community Outreach Award for her Addressing Food Insecurity in Southern Nevada project in partnership with Three Square
- Abriana Perez, College of Sciences, who received the Student Service Award for her COVID Vaccine Clinics and COVID Relief Donation Drive projects in partnership with the Immigrant Home Foundation, Walmart, and Touro University Nevada.
“This is our sixth year honoring the incredible ways UNLV students, staff, and faculty engage with our community,” said Sue DiBella, interim executive director of the Office of Community Engagement. “We are so pleased to recognize the recipients of the awards for their dedication to community engagement.”
Two selection committees reviewed the 23 applications for awards in the four categories. Recipients of the service-learning and community-based research awards each will receive $2,000. The recipient of the faculty/staff community outreach award will receive $1,500, and the student service award recipient will receive $1,000.
“Each year, the selection team struggles to choose among the many amazing applications received,” DiBella said. “All of the applicants deserve our appreciation for their innovative ideas and their commitment to engaging with our community.”
The following individuals received honorable mentions in each category:
- 2022 Community-Based Research Award Honorable Mention: Renato Liboro, College of Liberal Arts
- 2022 Faculty/Staff Outreach Award Honorable Mentions: Erica Marti, College of Engineering; and Christine Smith, William S. Boyd School of Law
- 2022 Student Service Award Honorable Mentions: Zachary Billot, Political Science; Vanessa Booth, Political Science; Kenny Jimison, Journalism; Siddharth Raich, Social and Behavioral Health; and Nicole Santero, Sociology