High school students and their parents are invited to attend college prep rally and tailgate at one of three local high schools leading up to the annual College Fair at Cashman Center on Oct. 25. Participants will get tips on applying for financial aid, choosing the right college and how to get noticed by college recruiters. Events will include food, entertainment and a chance to win prizes.
Tuesday, Oct. 25, from 2:15 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Got College! events will be held at the following schools:
- Canyon Springs High School, 350 E. Alexander Rd., North Las Vegas, 89032
- Desert Pines High School, 3800 Harris Ave., Las Vegas, 89110
- Rancho High School, 1900 Searles Ave., Las Vegas, 89101
Close to 300 students and their parents are expected to attend each rally. Got College! is funded through a grant from the Nevada System of Higher Education and U.S. Department of Education and aims to increase the number of at-risk high school students who attend and succeed in college.
- 2:25-2:45 p.m. - Registration
- 2:45-3:15 p.m. - Workshop on how juniors/seniors can prepare for college
- 3:15-3:45 p.m. - Workshop on how to choose a college
- 3:45 - 5 p.m. - Rally, music, food, raffles
- After 5 p.m., students will attend the college fair at Cashman Center
The event is co-sponsored by the Office of Diversity Initiatives, the Academic Success Center, Enrollment and Student Services, Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach at UNLV (CAEO), which supports the schools through its GEAR UP program. Students are asked to RSVP for the event through the CAEO. The event is open to all high school students.