Non-UNLV-Sponsored Programs

UNLV continues to develop a wide variety of study abroad programs which are designed to provide opportunities to participate in international study while remaining enrolled at UNLV. Students who choose to participate in study abroad programs which are not sponsored by UNLV should consider the following suggestions:

  1. Make an appointment with an advisor at International Programs. If you decide to pursue a non-sponsored program, an advisor will still offer guidance so you know what to expect from the process.
  2. Check with the study abroad provider you're interested in and determine which institution will issue transcripts for the program you have selected.
  3. Meet with the appropriate evaluators to confirm that credits from your chosen program are transferable to UNLV.
    • Undergraduate students: Office of the Registrar
    • Graduate Students: Graduate College
  4. Obtain syllabi for the courses you're interested in taking.
  5. Meet with your academic advisor to have your courses reviewed and considered for possible transfer credits.
  6. If you will be issued a foreign transcript, you will need to have it evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) after you complete your term abroad.
  7. All students should consult their physicians regarding personal health issues before traveling abroad. International medical insurance is strongly advised.
  8. Consult the U.S. State Department website regarding information on safety and travel to your selected location.
  9. Consult the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website regarding information on health issues specific to your specific location.
  10. Contact your study abroad provider and/or the Embassy or Consulate of the country you plan to visit for visa and travel information.

Please note: Information related to non-sponsored programs is provided for your reference only. UNLV International Programs is not an agent for non-sponsored programs and cannot guarantee their quality or that academic credits earned in the program can be transferred to UNLV.