In support of UNLV’s "Path to Top Tier", it is imperative that graduate and professional students stay actively involved in communicating with NV Legislators why increasing state funding in support of higher education is crucial to the diversified growth of Nevada’s economy and the betterment of the state’s community members.
Any suggestions, comments, etc. you have how to strengthen our position should be directed to the GPSA Treasurer and Chair of Government Relations Committee Kimberly Florence.
GPSA/CSUN Lobby 101 Training Workshop
Please join the GPSA and CSUN as we prepare for the 79th Legislative Session in Carson City. We will be conducting a Lobby 101 training workshop Thursday, December 8, 2016 from 12:00pm – 2:00pm Stan Fulton Ballroom A. Lunch will be provided. If you plan to attend the UNLV Lobby Day in Carson City (scheduled for April 2017) attendance at this training workshop is mandatory. More information is available on this flyer. This workshop will focus on these areas:
Lobby 101 – General Overview
- How to Effectively Interact with State Legislators
- How to Conduct a Meeting with a State Legislator
- State Legislature - Student Testimonies
Come prepared to the workshop!
- Why is higher education important?
- Why is my research important?
- How does my research impact the community
Related Links for 79th Legislative Session (2017)
- Stay up-to-date with the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) and receive press releases and Board of Regents meeting agendas via email.
- Your vote matters. Vote Nevada! Registration information.
- Nevada Student Alliance (NSA): is composed of the leadership from the NSHE student governments. NSA meets on a regular basis to discuss issues that impact higher education.
- Contact your legislator(s) how pursuing a graduate and professional education at UNLV has impacted your life and community.
Spring 2016 Legislative Popcorn Sessions
These information 10 minute sessions were be held and/or videotaped during the Spring 2016 GPSA Council Meetings. These sessions were been designed to inform graduate and professional students how to best navigate the NV State Legislature to achieve positive outcomes.
- April 4, 2016: "How to Testify at a Committee Hearing" presented by Dr. Constance Brooks, NSHE Vice Chancellor for Government and Community
- March 7, 2016: "Effective Communication with Legislators" presented by Dr. Constance Brooks, NSHE Vice Chancellor for Government and Community
- February 1, 2016: "How to Talk to your Legislator" presented by Luis Valera, UNLV Vice President of Government Relations