Best Teaching Practices
- Best Teaching Practices Expo
The Expo, held annually in the spring, is a signature event of the Faculty Center. It provides an opportunity for faculty to share their research-based ideas for improving teaching across campus.
- Best Teaching Practices: UNLV Examples
- Teaching Evaluation Alternatives
Ideas on options for ways instructors can demonstrate the impact of their teaching
- The Scholarly Teacher
This blog emphasizes the importance of taking an informed and practiced approach to teaching
- Instructional Moves from Harvard Initiative for Teaching and Learning and Graduate School of Education
The goal of this project is "to help you incorporate and refine high-leverage teaching practices tailored to the higher education context.”
- Mathematical Association of America 2017 Instructional Practices Guide
- Solve a Teaching Problem, Eberly Center for Teaching, Carnegie-Mellon
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Classroom
- How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive from The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Cultural Humility: A Framework to Mitigate Personal Bias
This is a recorded webcast from Academic Impressions: Develop a practice that promotes wonderment and curiosity about the diversity of others in your daily interactions. (REQUIRES SIGN-IN -- FREE UNLV MEMBERSHIP)
- Creating Safe Spaces for Students by Taking ACTION Against Microaggressions
A recorded webcast from Academic Impressions: Empower yourself to intervene in the moment of a microaggression to build community and trust with students. (REQUIRES SIGN-IN -- FREE UNLV MEMBERSHIP)
Resources to Engage in Conversations About Race and Anti-Racism
From Cornell University, this is an extensive list that includes courses, articles, books, films, podcasts, and more.
- Tips on Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment
The most important things we do to foster student success and help our students progress towards graduation happen in the classroom. Here are some tips on what you can do to create an inclusive learning environment, and some campus resources you can refer students to in order to provide our full support.
Tools and Teaching Aids
- Academic Memo: Read this before you create your syllabus
The following are PDF versions of the memos. For Word versions, visit the University Policies page
- Academic Assessment Office
- Student Conduct at UNLV
- Online Exam Proctoring Guidelines
Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
- SOTL Award
This annual award program was established to honor exceptional contributions to the scholarship of teaching and learning by a member of the UNLV teaching community. Learn more about this and other faculty awards on the Awards & Recognition webpage.
- UNLV Academic Assessment Award
- Grants that support Scholarship of Teaching and Learning projects and service
- Assessment mini-grants
- Start-up Scholarship of Teaching and Learning project mini-grants
- 2017 recipient: Erdogan Kaya, Graduate Student, Department of Teaching and Learning, "Introducing Engineering to Elementary Pre-service Teachers through 3D Printing and Educational Robotics"
- 2017-2018 recipient: Gwen Marchand, Associate Professor, Educational Psychology and Higher Education, "Development and Assessment of Targeted Open-Ended Student Evaluation of Teaching"
- Ongoing UNLV SoTL Work
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Beyond UNLV
- Join a Writing Group
- Office of Research
- 14-Day Writing Challenges with National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (Requires sign-in - free UNLV membership)
- Faculty Opportunity Awards
Faculty Tools & Support Services
- IT Help Desk
- Classroom Technology Help Desk
- Online Course Support
- Office of Online Education
- Campus Computer Labs
- Self-Service Resources
- On-demand Training
- WebCampus (Canvas)
- Lecture Capture (Panopto)
- Videoconferencing (WebEx)
- RebelFlex Spaces
- New Faculty Orientation
As part of the university’s welcoming and onboarding of new faculty, the Office of Faculty Affairs hosts a series of events and provides access to an online course to orient faculty to campus resources.
- Faculty Mentoring Resources
UNLV values the career development and success of its dedicated faculty and staff. This page is intended to increase visibility and access to campus mentoring programs and resources
- Doctoral Training Should Meet the Equity Moment, from Inside Higher Ed
- Faculty Senate
The UNLV Faculty Senate is the voice of the faculty in the shared governance of the university.
Advancing Your Career
- Professional Development
UNLV maintains memberships in the following organizations, providing free access to many professional development resources.
- University Faculty Travel Committee
The University Faculty Travel Committee (UFTC) is appointed by the Executive Vice President & Provost (EVP & P) and is charged with recommending the distribution of funds to support faculty travel and development.
- Tenure & Promotion