Why won't the online registration system let me register?

You might not be able register for a number of reasons:

  • Account on hold: Check your MyUNLV account for any holds that may have been placed on your account. Contact the appropriate department to clear up the hold to have it removed.
  • Do not meet the prerequisites:
    • For engineering courses: If the course is an engineering course, come into the Advising Center to fill out or print out a copy of the prerequisite form. Once we verify that you meet the prerequisites of a course we will lift the restriction.
    • For engineering courses: If you do not meet the prerequisites for the course, you will need to fill out the prerequisite form and obtain the instructor's and department chair's permission first before a waiver can be processed.
    • For non-engineering courses: If you meet the prerequisites for a course (e.g. math, physics, chemistry), then you need to contact the corresponding academic department for this course to obtain permission to enroll in the course.
  • Do not meet the co-requisites:
    • If you are signing up for a lab-based discussion or class (science, engineering, computer science), then make sure to add the lab section first and then add the lecture section.
    • If your class has other co-requisites, add those classes first and then add the "problem" class last.
  • Full class waiver/class replacement: This means the class you are trying to register for is full. If it is an engineering course, come into the advising center to see about the availability of getting in. If it is not an engineering course, you will need to discuss the situation with that particular department. If you are a millennium scholar or need to keep full credits, make sure you sign up for a "filler class" until you are able to switch for the class you want, then adjust your schedule through the online registration system.
I think I am failing a class. What should I do?

Talk to your professor about your progress first and see if a study group or a tutor will help you improve your grade. If that doesn't work and you still think you will fail, talk to your academic advisor about other options (such as tutoring, dropping the class, or taking a modular course).

What is the difference between a Withdrawal and an Audit?

If you withdraw from a course, you will no longer be permitted to attend the course and will receive a W grade on your transcript. If you audit a course, you will still be permitted to attend the course and will receive an AD grade on your transcript. W and AD grades count as attempted credits but not completed credits, and they will not impact your UNLV GPA.

If you are not certain you will pass any class with a C or better by the end of the term, you should consider whether withdrawing is the best option for you. Withdrawing from the class will not give you completed credit and it will not count toward your GPA or GPB calculations.

If you choose to withdraw from or audit a class that is a prerequisite for any of your major related classes you should plan to retake the class at it's next availability as this will delay your degree progression.

How is Financial Aid Impacted?

If you receive financial aid, you should speak with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office about how your future aid may be impacted from withdrawing or auditing.

Federal Financial Aid (grants and loans) require that students meet the requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible for future aid. Auditing or withdrawing from credits will count against your SAP completion rate. The first time you fail to meet the SAP requirements you will be put on SAP warning and will be eligible for aid for the next term, but if you do not meet the requirements after that you will lose aid eligibility until you meet the requirements again.

Many scholarships will require completion of at least 12 credits per semester and a minimum GPA to remain eligible. If you withdraw or audit a course this may drop you below the 12 credit requirement, but if you fail it (with an F grade) this will also drop you below the 12 credit requirement and will also lower your GPA as well.

There are many different types of aid and aid requirements, specific to each student, so it is important that you speak with Financial Aid and Scholarships about your specific award(s) before auditing or withdrawing from a class(es).
I am a millennium student and need to drop a class at mid-semester. How can I replace those credits I just lost?

UNLV offers (accelerated) modular courses that start around week eight of the semester, after midterm exams. The advising center usually obtains the course list by week five, so check in with us around that time. These courses may or may not apply to your degree and cost extra in tuition costs.

What happens when I repeat a course I received a low grade in?

You are strongly encouraged to repeat any grades below "C" to improve your GPA. Certain courses may need to be repeated depending on your department and college requirements. One can repeat any UNLV course once at UNLV and have the original grade removed from your GPA. Courses that are initially taken at UNLV must be repeated at UNLV in order to have the initial grade removed from the computation of the GPA. (NOTE: When a repeat course is completed more than once, only the original grade is removed from the GPA.)

How many attempts are allowed for College of Engineering courses?

The Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering has a policy on the maximum number of attempts that are allowed to successfully complete a course in the undergraduate curriculum. Students are allowed a maximum of three attempts in an engineering, computer science or construction management course. Under this policy, the attempts include all attempts that result in a course grade of “A-F”, “AD”, “S/U”, “I” or “W”. The only exceptions to the repeat rule could include withdrawals for medical or military duties.

Please talk to your academic advisor about how to submit a petition for additional attempts. 

What do "drop" and "total withdrawal" mean?

You can "drop" individual courses through your MyUNLV account without withdrawing from the university. Make sure to print a confirmation receipt when dropping a course. If you do not drop the course, you will receive an "F" for that class. Failure to attend class or pay for a class does not constitute a withdrawal or a drop. Final drop dates vary by semester courses and can be found on the UNLV website.

Total withdrawal is the act of officially leaving the university. To do this, you will need to go through the registrar's exit process before being approved for total withdrawal from courses.

How many hours of "study time" are recommended in order to be successful in my major courses?

In order to earn A's and B's, you should spend two to three times as much time studying out of class (reviewing notes, writing papers, and doing homework and design assignments, team projects, etc.) as you do in class. For example, if you take 12 credits during a given semester, you will spend approximately 12 hours a week in class. We recommend you spend 24 to 36 hours per week studying and working on various course-related materials outside of class in order to achieve above-average grades.

I am currently a UNLV student in another college. How can I change my major to one that is within the College of Engineering?

Depending on the engineering major you will need a minimum UNLV GPA between a 2.0 and 2.75. Arrange a meeting with one of our advisors to discuss changing your major and if you meet the minimum qualifications. If you are below the GPA requirements, you will need to meet with an advising for a possible exception to be admitted on probationary status.

I think I want to change my major. Where do I go for more information?

We would first like to meet with you to discuss your options, and then we may refer you to the major department that you are considering, or if you are undecided about a major, we may ask you to take one of the aptitude tests at Career Services. These free tests help you clarify your interest areas, personality, values, and goals, and it discusses how these factors relate to possible career paths. If you decide on another major, then that major's advising center will complete the necessary paperwork to have your major changed.

What is a "minor" and do I have to have one?

A minor is an approved area of study requiring fewer courses than a major requires. A minor is not required, nor does it have to be applicable to your major. Check with your academic advisor regarding the minors offered within the College of Engineering.

How can Career Services help me?

Career Services is located on the second floor of the Student Services Building (SSC-A). Career Services representatives can help you choose and prepare for the career that best suits you. They offer such services as the DISCOVER Test, resume and cover-letter writing, mock interviews, and the annual UNLV Fall and Spring Career and Internship Fair.

What are general education requirements?

General education core requirements prepare you to think critically and independently. General education requirements are outlined on the General Education website.

How do I find out about the international and multicultural general education core requirements?

We have compiled a list of courses that meet these requirements and can assist you in selecting these courses so that you can meet this requirement with other general education core requirements and save credits toward your degree completion (AKA: Double Dippers — SOC 205, THTR 100, ECON 190). Get a complete list of approved classes.

How do I know which course catalog I should follow?

You may follow the catalog of your year of enrollment in your undergraduate program or your year of graduation. If you change your major, you may choose the catalog of your latest change of major or the catalog of your year of graduation. Whichever catalog is used, it cannot be more than 10 years old at the time of graduation.

I would like to take some courses at a community college or another university. Will they transfer back to UNLV?

There are a variety of general education core requirements as well as math and science requirements that can be earned at another institution. It is important to contact your advisor PRIOR to taking the course to determine if these courses will be transferable and degree-applicable. Additionally, your last 30 credits need to be taken at UNLV.

Do transfer courses from CSN and other institutions affect my overall GPA at UNLV?

No, your overall UNLV GPA is calculated based on UNLV grades only. However, transfer credits with a grade of C- or lower may not be transferable into the College of Engineering.

What is the overall GPA required to graduate from the College of Engineering?

To graduate from UNLV, you must have a minimum 2.0 GPA. Particular GPA requirements may also be required for individual departments in the College of Engineering. For example, all engineering students must earn C's or above in all math, science and engineering courses. See an advisor in the advising center for additional information regarding GPA graduation requirements.