Job searching is moving online now more than ever before, and in today’s marketplace it’s necessary to have the best tools available. That’s why UNLV and Lee Business School are rolling out Handshake, the leading online employment portal on the web – no actual handshakes required!
Handshake has a network of thousands of schools, tens of thousands of employers, and millions of students and alumni. Active users post about companies they have worked for allowing you to network and ask questions directly to employers and employees. The resources are numerous, and we look forward to sharing them with you.
Activate Your Account
Getting setup on Handshake as a student is easy! Our system will automatically upload your student information to initially set up your student account. Once your student information is uploaded to the system, you will receive a notification via email to your RebelMail account. There is no need to complete the process to sign up for a new student account.
Getting set up on Handshake as an alumnus is easy! You will receive an email directly to your email address established by the Alumni Association ending in @alumni.unlv.nevada.edu to sign up for your handshake account. Accounts registering on the site utilizing their UNLV Alumni email address will receive priority approvals onto the site – guaranteeing you see available resources first.
Complete Your Profile
Having a complete and accurate student profile is essential for effective and efficient use of Handshake. As you fill out your profile fields, you’ll see your completion percentage increase. Most services on Handshake require at least a 75% completion rate.
Discover and Apply for Jobs
To look for open positions, start by selecting "Jobs" on the top navigation bar. You will be taken to the Job Search page. From here, there are various options available to view available jobs and narrow your search:
- To search for jobs using keywords, enter keyword(s) in the search box and select "Search."
- You can also use the filters to search for specific job types, job functions, industries, majors, or employers.
- To sort the job listings, use the drop down arrow in the upper-right hand corner of the jobs list on the left side of the screen. Select the arrow to view options (relevance, expiration date, and date posted) and select the preferred option.
- Once you have found a position you are interested in, select it to review the qualifications for the job. Make sure your resume has been approved by the LEE Career & Professional Development Office before applying for a position. Once approved, apply using these steps:
- Select the green "Apply" button in the job description.
- A pop-up screen will appear. Select the document you want to upload from your document library or select "Upload Now" to add a document directly from your computer.
- Answer any additional questions and select the green "Submit Application button. You are all set!
Request an Appointment
All Career Services appointments will be booked directly through Handshake. Appointments can be requested for resume/cover letter assistance, job search support, mock interviews, major exploration, and more. When you request an appointment, please provide details on what services you would like to cover. To schedule an appointment:
- From the Handshake front page, select "Career Center."
- Select "Appointments" and then "Schedule a New Appointment."
- Be sure that the title of the appointment has Lee Business School in the title.
- You’ll have the option to speak to someone in-person, over the phone, or virtually.
- A staff member will need to approve your appointment. Check for an email, a notification in Handshake, or monitor the appointment status on your Appointments page.
Uploading and Editing Document
Uploading your documents, especially your resume, is an essential part of completing your profile.
- To upload a document, start by selecting your name in the upper-right hand corner and selecting "Documents."
- Then select "Select from Computer" if you have not added a document or select "Add New Document" in the top right.
- Once you drag or choose a document from your computer, you'll see a preview of the document. You can name it, select the document type, and then select "Add Document."
- Uploaded documents can be resumes, cover letters, transcripts, or work samples.
- Files should be in PDF, DOC, or DOCX format.
- You will have an option to feature the document on your profile and the ability to build your profile from this document.
You may wish to edit this document when you get a new position or want to make other important adjustments.
- To do this, start by selecting your name in the upper-right hand corner and selecting "Documents."
- Next, find the document you want to edit or delete and select it
- To edit/replace a document
- Documents stored in Handshake are in PDF format, so you cannot make a change to the document directly within Handshake. You’ll need to first make the change in original document (on your computer), save it, and upload it as a replacement.
- To feature on profile
- All you need to do is select this option, and the document will be set as visible, or public, on your profile page. You can select "Featured on Profile" at any time to remove this document from your profile.
- For deleting your document
- Once you select "Delete," you will be prompted to confirm this deletion. Handshake does not store old versions of your documents, so if you edit or delete a document you think you might want to reference in the future, please keep a copy of that document in your own files.
It is recommended that students submit resumes and cover letters to the Lee Business School Career and Professional Development Office for review before uploading to Handshake. Please submit documents you wish to have reviewed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feedback will be provided via email within 24-72 hours excluding weekends and holidays.