The Angela Peterson Scholarships is awarded semi-annually in support of Undergraduate Anthropology majors, as well as to Graduate Students working towards their M.A. in Anthropology. This funding opportunity, generously endowed by Frank and Linda Peterson, Angela’s parents, is in honor of Angela who died tragically when struck by a drunk driver in November of 2009. Angela was an Anthropology major who was remarkably active in all aspects of the department, from the Anthropology Society to other student interest groups. She was known by all the students and faculty because of her engaging, warm, and ever-positive style, both inside and outside of the classroom. This scholarship honors her legacy of engagement and her strong academic record while a student at UNLV.
Department calls for applications typically go out via email to all eligible Anthropology undergraduate majors and graduate students in the fall and spring semesters of every academic year. Applications are reviewed by the Department of Anthropology Scholarship Committee, and awardees are notified of their award before the end of the semester in which they applied. Awards are distributed 1 week prior to the start of the following semester.
Applicants must be formally admitted to UNLV and enrolled as a full-time undergraduate Anthropology major pursing the BA degree, or a graduate student pursuing the M.A. degree in Anthropology. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.20. Preference will be given to a student who is a member of the Anthropology Society. Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the College of Liberal Arts Honors Convocation.
To apply, please submit:
- A complete transcript
- A completed cover sheet form including the signature of your adviser or the professor that you will be working with.
- A 500 word essay about how the funding will be used (for example, to help offset the cost of a summer field school; to help offset travel to an educational or research site; to do an internship; to present research at an academic conference; or to purchase equipment needed for a project).
- A budget should include the following information:
- What other moneys that have been applied for and/or received.
- What part of that large budget are you specifically requesting coverage for in the Anthropology scholarship application.
- Will you be able to complete the project or undertaking if you only receive partial funding?
Please submit your application to Heather Nepa (Heather.Nepa@unlv.edu) in an electronic format.