• In any language, all four courses corresponding to the first two years (113, 114, 213, and 214) must be taken in sequential order: students are not allowed to enroll in two of these courses during the same semester.
  • Students who have studied a language in high school or another institution must be directed to the Department of World Languages and Cultures to be placed in the appropriate course level.
  • Transfer students who get credit for courses taken at a different institution may not enroll in a course lower than the highest level for which they already received credit.
  • Students may not take credit by examination for any course lower than those for which they have received credit. Not all languages offer credit by examination, please consult the appropriate language advisor.
  • Students who have had 2 years of high school and/or college Spanish cannot challenge SPAN 113, but they may challenge SPAN 114. If they have had more than 2 years of high school and/or college Spanish, they cannot challenge either SPAN 113 or SPAN 114. Advanced native speakers (i.e. persons born in Spanish speaking countries and who attended high school and/or college there) can only take the exam for 302 or courses above that level.
  • Students minoring or majoring in a language must consult with the corresponding undergraduate student advisor before enrolling in a class at the 300 level or above.
  • All upper division courses have prerequisites. Please check the catalogue for details.
  • Without prior written authorization, students will not be allowed to enroll in any upper level course without meeting the prerequisites.
  • As a rule, independent studies are not allowed.
  • Native speakers may not enroll in any of the lower-division courses (113, 114, 213, and 214).

In addition to the above policies, in the case of the Spanish the following policies are also in effect:

  • Native speakers may not enroll in SPAN 113, 114, 213, 214, or 301, but instead must enroll in SPAN 126, 226, 227 (Spanish for Heritage Speakers) or above. In case of doubt, consult with the Spanish advisor.