Regents' Researcher Awards: Call for Nominations
Each fall, the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) seeks nominations for the annual Regents' Researcher Awards, which include a $5,000 stipend, certificate, and a medal of recognition. Applications are submitted through the Regents' Awards Portal. Applications are submitted through the UNLV Regent’s Awards Portal.
The 2020 call for nominations will be open from August 29 – September 25, 2019, 5 p.m. PT.
These awards are presented annually to NSHE faculty members with a distinguished record in research. Faculty from UNLV, UNR, and DRI are eligible; although this award is intended for individuals, groups who have made major advances through their collaborations may be recognized as well. Candidates for the Distinguished Career Researcher Award must have 10 years of cumulative service in NSHE by the date of the nomination and be nominated by a NSHE employee or student in order to be considered for the award. Candidates for the Mid-Career Researcher Award must have 5 years of cumulative service in NSHE by the date of the nomination and be nominated by a NSHE employee or student in order to be considered for the award.
Those submitting nominations must be NSHE employees or students. (Self nominations are not accepted.) A formal nomination letter addressing the following should be submitted:
- The significance, volume, and quality of the candidate' research in such a way as to clarify the nominee's activities for individuals from other disciplines.
- The ways in which the candidate's research or scholarly work has brought recognition to the NSHE.
- Clear evidence of the national or international stature of the candidate's creative activity. This evidence should reflect recognized evaluation in the form of critically reviewed papers, presentations, books, monographs, and other forms of scholarly activity or recognition (e.g., invited presentations, awards, or honors). A fuller listing of these should be provided in the nominee's curriculum vitae.
- In those disciplines where research grants and contracts are recognized as an important part of career achievement, there must be clear evidence provided in the letter of nomination that the candidate has been competitive for such grants at the national and/or international level.
- The candidate's continuous record of long-term research.
*Please note: If you intend to nominate a faculty member, please notify the nominee and submit the nomination letter to him/her. The nominee should compile all application materials as a single pdf file, including the nomination letter, and submit them by the deadline through the UNLV Regents' Awards Portal.
Nominees must provide all materials to support their nominations. These materials include:
- A copy of the nomination letter.
- The nominee's current curriculum vitae, including a list of grants and contracts received, indicating the project title, name of grantor, amount of grant, beginning and termination dates, and the nature of the competition for the grant, presentations made at national and/or international research meetings, awards/honors, published articles, monographs, or books.
- No more than three examples (reprints or copies) of significant published works that the candidate feels are representative of his or her research accomplishments.
- No more than three letters of support from persons knowledgeable of the nominee's qualifications.
- No more than three reviews, adjudications, or testimonials conferred by persons who audited the original work.
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of up to five persons outside of the NSHE whom the Selection Committee can contact about the candidate's research achievements.
All materials must be compiled as a single pdf file and submitted online through the UNLV Regents' Awards Portal. Materials that cannot be submitted online due to file size (e.g. entire books, videos) can be delivered to Althea Sheets, RAB 104, Mail Stop: 1055 by September 25, 2019, 5:00 p.m. PT.
The deadline for all materials is 5 p.m., Sept. 25, 2019. The nominee should compile all materials in pdf format for submission online. Materials that cannot be submitted online due to file size (e.g. music disc, videos, entire books) can be delivered to Althea Sheets, RAB 104, Mail Stop: 1055.