The Biomedical IRB is responsible for reviewing all biomedical research involving human subjects. The schools or departments that are generally reviewed by the Biomedical IRB include, but are not limited to:
- Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Construction
- Department of Computer Sciences
- School of Dental Medicine
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Integrated Health Sciences: (Physical Therapy, Kinesiology & Nutrition Sciences & Health Physics and Diagnostic Sciences)
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health: (Environmental and Occupational Health, Healthcare & Administration Policy)
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
In addition, research involving collection or use of biomedical specimens or biological tests would also be reviewed by the Biomedical IRB.
For guidance on whether a proposal should be reviewed by the Biomedical IRB, please contact the Office of Research Integrity – Human Subjects at 702-895-2794 or via email at IRB@unlv.edu.
Membership on the IRB is an annual appointment by the UNLV Institutional Officer. The Biomedical IRB is composed of faculty affiliated with the biomedical sciences at UNLV and representatives from the community.