Office of the Registrar

You are here

Before You Drop/Withdraw

Review this important information before you decide to drop a class or withdraw from the university.

General Info

  • Visit your Academic Advisor and discuss your options. Confidential advice, resources and recommendation are available.
  • Speak with Financial Aid & Scholarships about consequences to your aid before dropping or withdrawing from any or all classes.
  • If you withdraw from a class, the class will appear on your transcript as a "WD" or "WH."
  • Consider auditing the class(es). "AU" or "AC" will appear on your transcript.

Note: If you would like to audit a class, contact the Office of the Registrar. This request cannot be processed online.

Campus Housing

Voluntary Health Withdrawal

Leave of Absence

  • If you are eligible for a Leave of Absence please take the Leave of Absence form to your academic advisor to discuss the next steps.
  • Graduate Students

  • Check with financial aid to make sure you meet the minimum course load required to receive your award.
  • Contact your department, as some individual departments require students to take more credits per semester than the Graduate College does.
  • Graduate assistants: contact Brianne Heinle at Graduate Financial Services in the Graduate College to ensure you are carrying the required course load to keep your assistantship.

International Students

  • International Students have particular regulations governing their F-1 visa status. Before dropping a class, or if you are considering a leave of absence from your studies, contact an International Student Advisor to discuss options and rules regarding your F-1 status.

Please note: If you drop below full-time, you may be in violation of your F-1 visa status. Students can only include three credits of online courses each term towards their full-time enrollment requirement.

Summer Term

  • If you are enrolled in Summer Term classes, check the Summer Term website for drop/withdrawal policies.

Boyd Law School

  • If you are a law student, please refer to the Boyd Law School website for their drop/withdrawal policies.
Produced by UNLV Web Communications | © 2015 University of Nevada, Las Vegas Website Feedback