Lost Card Information

Has your card been lost or stolen? Deactivate your card right away to keep your RebelCash and ID secure.

Deactivate Your Card

Stop in or call the RebelCard Services Center at 702-895-2351 during normal business hours. You can also log into the RebelCard Online Card Office to deactivate your card. Once deactived a Frozen RebelCard cannot be reactived and you will need to come into our office to purchase a replacement card.

Lost & Found

After deactivating your RebelCard online or in person at the RebelCard office, check the Lost & Founds across campus. Lost & Founds are located in the following locations:

  • RebelCard Services Center
  • Student Recreation & Wellness Center (SRWC)
  • Lied Library
  • Public Safety Building

Replace Your Card

If you are unable to find your lost RebelCard at the various Lost & Founds across campus, a new RebelCard can only be issued in the RebelCard Service Center for a fee of $20.

More detailed information regarding lost or stolen cards can be found in our Disclosure Statements.